Wednesday, April 17, 2024

The unconscious photographer

  NO, not like out of it and un-conscious --- asleep... . But something else. 

Long ago I took a photography class and had all sorts of things drilled into my head.

You need to follow the rule of thirds.
You need leading lines.
Follow the Golden Spiral.
Never shoot into the sunlight.
Golden and blue hours are the best.

...and more and more. 

It was a good class though as I was asked to do things I've never done before. I was asked to to Still Life as well as abstract photography. Of course back then, I aspired to be the next Great Landscape Photographer.

But then I didn't.

One of the instructors said I could never leave things to chance. Always watch the weather, get an app for predicting the 'best' weather and research and area to get the best shots.

All true things that the pros do. I was told that my method of serendipity was never going to make me 'great'. 

His reasoning was that I had to really work hard at getting that shot. The teacher was right, but I love photography so much that I don't want to make it become work.

I made up my mind that I wasn't going to be a pro shooter. It seemed as if they were always chasing THAT perfect shot, that perfect scene or place. 

In fact, I enjoy serendipity a lot. If I am hiking about and something catches my eye, I shoot it to enjoy it. 

I'm not a rebel, I am just realistic. I like seeing things through the lens. 

Even in a Lego or toy scene, I am not thinking of anything other than presenting a story or a photo that really doesn't need explanation.

As a caregiver, photography is an outlet of play and mental fun. I'm not consciously thinking of the rules for photography. Just looking for something to experiment with and that will bring me personal joy.

A morning walk...


A hike on a foggy morning when I thought I'd get a brilliant sunrise over a pond and ... well, I got deep heavy fog. Serendipity! A challenge!


Or out checking fences on a hot summer morning.


I spent so much time as a kid around my father whose hobby was photography too. I learned to 'see' things as he took photos. I learned to read a light meter. I became his little human light meter sometimes. He'd bring out the meter and hold it up to take a measure and I'd look around and say:

It's sunny Daddy! How about f11 at 250? I learned these things before I learned Algebra. He'd let me look through his camera and pretend to take shots. Other times he'd have me frame a shot with my fingers. I usually knew what speed film he had in his camera.

I'd play at taking photos with my hands. 

Here is a photo of my father with his Brownie camera. 


I guess what I am saying is that I go out and just look. I rarely plan [unless it is a Lego Story or Toy Story idea --> then I wander about and look for something that might work]. 

My whole idea is to have fun and enjoy things and not to overthink it too much. Photography is so much like doodling ideas from my [echo chamber] or brain if you will.


I can shoot nature and turn around and shoot something that amuses me. 

Just going with the flow and not worrying about rules....



This last shot is of that tree I've been following. It occurred to me that I better take a good look at it when walking past it yesterday.
The old leaves are gone and the catkins that were there all winter are expanding with little buds of this year's leaves emerging!


I don't think sometimes...I can just do. 




9 comments:

  1. I love this approach! So much more interesting than the rulebound way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do study other people's methods to see if anything works for me in an artistic way, but generally I just go out and wander about enjoying my surroundings.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:14 AM

    I feel the same way you do. No big plans when it comes to taking photos...going with the flow seems to work the best. However, I feel like a rookie next to you! You have studied and I am back yard. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you are enjoying yourself, it really doesn't matter! You can look over your blog and see how things have changed through the years so consider yourself as doing a documentary of sorts!

      Delete
  3. You may not follow the rules but you certainly take fantastic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:50 PM

    Yes sometimes it is gut feelings that work best. I had a hospital Life Flight shooting over me and there wasn’t time to plan anything. I just hoped that I got at least one good shot. You have a good eye like a designer and your shots show that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just do also, seems like I have lost my photo want to lately...still dull and dreary here, raining today. You take some great photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a handsome man your father was! I love your photography. I am not a photographer so I am not judging the 1/3 or whatever. I am looking at all the hidden beauty in your photographs. Lovely, just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great series of photos! The lil canoe pic is just darlin' the Lego police will lovee it!!

    As you know, I am all about shooting spur of the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.