Monday, April 15, 2024

Springing

Hepatica with a Soldier Beetle.
 I watched, this beetle grab a 
tiny insect and eat it!

Forest Drama!


 Rue Anenome with dew drops on it at Tainter Hollow



These flowers are so tiny that many people never see them while walking on a trail or path through the woods.

They are not showy or exceptional in colors, but in some areas they cover the forest floor for a few weeks each year.

I found these and the Virginia Blue Bells emerging in a place called Tainter Hollow. There is a tract of DNR land open to the public for trout fishing. It runs along Tainter Creek and has one trail that is mowed out and back, but one can wander around fairly easily in the spring. Once summer arrives, the growth around the creek is over 4 foot tall.

No shots of the Bluebells as they were merely an inch tall. My Bluebells at home are much taller and get more spring sunshine.



I walked over in the late evening to where I had some daffodils planted and thought I'd grab a few shots with back lighting. Instead, I got distracted by all of the action on the daffodils.

Here is a Mustard White butterfly which is not to be confused with a Cabbage White. The Mustard White only feeds and pollinates native plants. The Cabbage White is the one we all curse in our vegetable garden.


I have no idea what these insects are, but they were all over the place!



And out in the forest, tiny bees were visiting the Virginia Pinks which a lot of folks call Pink Beauties.


The bees are awake and the flowers are emerging. These flowers will soon disappear and more will take their place.

It has been very warm for this time of April, but I'll take it and enjoy it while I can.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the walk through the forest. Very good photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found pretty wildflowers!

    I wonder what August weather will be like when mid April gets to 79F. I am thankful for the cool Spring breeze!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh flowers... you has flowers.... we don't even have a dandelion yet!
    Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You live in a busy place! Love the flowers and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great photos of the early Spring flowers!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.