Tuesday, April 02, 2024

In the Zone

Right now the fun is never ending. I keep ignoring my Nature photos at the moment as Nature is teasing us with all sorts of wild weather.

I had a really nice compliment on a photo I did of Princess Sara in an email from a Lego Ambassador last week. I used a tutorial by FourBricksTall and tagged her in my write up on Flickr. I read that and felt inspired and had an AH HAH... moment.
I won't be a pro toy photographer ever or be hired by Lego any time ever. But I felt like my efforts of creativity and explorations were somewhat vindicated. 

Any...way...more about getting into the Zone. After that my head burst with all sorts of ideas. You know, the stuff that bangs around in that empty space of a brain. That echo chamber. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I first got this Lego minifig last Spring. I had her in my pocket in May while I was hunting fungi and other things as they came up from the forest floor. I decided her name would be Sara the Brave and she would be a Princess when I first set her on a mossy stump.

I really liked her but couldn't for the life of me figure out her 'Story'. Well, that is until I set up the photo I did a while ago. I plucked her off the shelf where she spent nearly a whole year and made her a central character in an adventure. 

Truly, I don't know where that adventure will take me, but I am glad to have Sara out and about. She makes an interesting character that wields a stick horse and a sword.




I walk around in the forest looking for cool things. The minifigs bounce around in their containers in my backpack. Some days I hike and never take them out. And then some days, things just click and I know that I found yet another clue in Sara's journey.

Of course she will find exotic looking plants and...
well...
it looks like those other forest critters may be watching her!
That looks like Big Foot is spying on them!


Will she meet some of those other fierce warrior women?
How about Ariel who also wears the blue knight armor just like Joan of Knight? 

She is an exceptional warrior who loves to fish.


Sometimes she even gets them to jump right out of the water!


 [Trick photography! I hot glued floral wire around the fish tail and pushed it into the stream bottom. I took the shot with the wire in the photo and took a shot without the fish there.👇]


I set the camera up to take 5 photos in a row while I threw rocks into the stream for splashes. 

The magic happens when you stack the two photos on top of each other and simply erase the wire. The photo in the second layer is just a shot of the Lego figure by itself. This was a trick I learned by watching a video by a Toy Photographer who goes by SirDork. 



While I was at it, I found another spot where Hannah the Hunter was. It seems she is looking for something in the forest also. 


Will all of these characters eventually find each other? I don't know. 

For now? Anything can happen.

One other note. Spring will be emerging all over the forest. I see the signs of Spring Beauty leaves poking up out of the leaves. I saw bluebells emerging too. It feels like this next snow/sleet/rain event is just telling us to be patient.

Suddenly Spring will emerge like a racehorse out of the gate.

But for now, I'm in the Zone... 
the play Zone.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:02 AM

    You are such a techie master!!! Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I learned Photoshop skills without classes many years ago. Now I use ON1 which is really a nice easy way to do quick magical edits now.

      Delete
  2. That fish photo is really good. We all get to benefit when you are in the zone, I enjoy the adventures. I heard this morning that the minor snow we are having is going to turn into a storm in WI. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got back from errands and am happy I am home. IT is nasty out there! I may have to go out and enjoy it anyway.

      Thanks, I learn from others and it really is quite fun!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on having your awesome work recognized! I love your lego fantasy photos. Stay safe in this crazy spring weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot & fun with fish. I love that you got well deserved recognition from the Lego folks!! Let us (or me) know when your photo gets included in lego land communication building :))

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.