Thursday, April 04, 2024

April delivers

 


It didn't look bad when it started on Tuesday morning. But roads immediately got bad and went to much worse as Wednesday went on. The shot below was taken Tuesday afternoon of our road through the woods.


One could still see where the road was. Even with the forest on both sides of the road, the winds were blowing snow through the trees! It was fierce!


This was the view in the afternoon of the 2nd just after my neighbor had gone to pick up her son from school as they closed the schools early.


The snows were wet and heavy.

I walked up the next morning to see what I could see. Olive reported high winds on the ridge and whiteouts.


She was not kidding.

Back home I thought I'd take a peek at the woods across the pasture and...


This is what I saw from the porch. The line on the left is a porch support.


Soon reports of businesses closing on Main Street filtered in. Most of the stores and even the DQ in town closed up. The company that does garbage collection pulled their trucks off the road.

Our township grader got stuck in a drift and had to have other equipment dig it out.

The mules had plenty of hay and warmed water. They hid out in the deep woods for most of the time except when they came up for water.

It wasn't particularly cold, as the snow was very wet and very heavy. I was surprised that the wind could actually blow the snow around. At our municipal airport, they clocked 48 mph winds, so I guess that answered that question.

The worst part of it all was knowing that I had an appointment in town that we surely could not miss. I had called for my plow guy the day before and waited and waited and waited. He didn't come. It was probably a good thing too as the roads were so bad.

I did rearrange the appointment for the next morning and by late afternoon, I texted my plow guy to forget it....and started my own snow removal project.



I decided just to work on the hill part of the driveway and get two lines so that the tires would have a good grip on the gravel while going up the hill. I pushed the snow and yes, it was heavy. By late afternoon though, it was starting to melt.


My neighbor at the top of the driveway walked down and asked if he could help. His wife had let the dogs out and saw me shoveling. 

Justin go out his 4 wheeler and cleared a path up the hill for me. 

In truth? I could probably got out with my Subaru without shoveling. I'm glad I didn't try with hubby in the car though. After all the reports of vehicles in the ditch and even town plows having trouble? Why chance it?

This morning I can get hubby in the car and drive safely to the appointment we thought was written in stone. 


Then last night I got a phone call from our plow guy. Frank was just gushing with apologizes and everything else for not getting out. He didn't make excuses, he just admitted he messed up.

You know what? I can deal with that. He said it slipped his mind because...well, his brain was dealing with other things. He told me if that ever happened again to keep calling his cell over and over and over. He sounded so upset that I ended up telling him it was OK. 

April always seems to deliver some sort of frightful weather. I recall April 20 in 2018 when we had a blizzard. 

So there you go. Hello April, you sure know how to deliver weather!

9 comments:

  1. You made the right decision to wait. This silly weather event is lasting longer than predicted. Still falling from the sky (sideways) as I type. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I may have gotten out but not very far! Our town grader got stuck in a huge drift not far from Olive's house. They had to get equipment in to dig it out!
      We made our appt today and all is well.

      Delete
  2. We didn't have snow but the wind yesterday's fierce. Good luck ay the appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure did get a blast of winter! All that shoveling- you won't need to go to the Gym for a while!
    Good thing you could change the appointment. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week was a wash for the gym, too many other things happening. Now the sun is shining and the temps are rising! It will melt off! :)

      Delete
  4. What a crazy storm! A half inch of rain and 4" snow after that. sigh.
    You did well. What a trooper you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were not happy with the storm but then again it provided much needed moisture.

      Delete
  5. My niece was telling me about how heavy the snow was. She and her husband raise beef and of course he is out of town on business this week. She was exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was heavy but as of Saturday morning most of it has melted and seeped into the ground.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.