Monday, May 11, 2020

9 weeks?

64 days since we went out anywhere as a couple. We visited Rich's mom in the nursing home. Before that?

Rich was at the VA in February. 75 days ago.

At first I was really put out. I missed my CrossFit time at the gym, it had become a daily ritual I really looked forward to. Good friends, good exercise, and camaraderie.

Then we had to make some tough choices. Being social was suddenly out. I've arranged some socially distancing hikes with my friend Bill.
Another would like to join us but at this point she has stated that she doesn't believe in isolation, masks, or washing unnecessarily... she believes the virus is a hoax and that when she gets it she will be just fine.
And the statistics are with her.

However they are not with my husband. So I've made a choice to not include her on our hikes.
I simply cannot risk bringing the virus to Rich.
Eventually it will happen right? I can't avoid it forever. And that is a scary thought.
No matter what, Covid-19 will find its way here, eventually. My hope would be that we find a vaccine.


I'm getting used to this isolation again. After all, I do live with a bonafide Hermit. He has no desire to go anywhere at all.

So I enjoy my walks in the woods. Yesterday I went in a light rain and just wandered about looking at tracks in the dirt/sand/mud along the creek. Looking at flowers that were struggling with the cold weather, and just exploring.

And then there is this:

Morning coffee



Or...Covid-19 Hair. Friends don't let friends do their own hair...
[It's a wig]

What a person with a camera can do when a bit bored.

Meat.
I went to the store on Friday morning and noted that the meat shelves were pretty scarce.
Yes, I have old Bart in the freezer, but on chance I messaged a friend of mine who has a country store and raises home grown beef.
I asked her to put together a beef and pork package for me [her choices...surprise me] with a few of her country store items.
I gave her a price and asked her to use her own judgement.

I'll drive to her farm this morning and hand her the money while she puts my goodies in the back of the Subaru.

Our area is unique in this way because we are rural. Neighbors are calling up other neighbors with cattle and arranging butchering on the farm or at one of the local shops.
Those who work the Farmer's Market in town on Saturdays are trying to figure out how to do something similar as we are not sure that the mayor will allow the Farmer's Market to go on as planned.

Again, we are lucky. Our rural people are moving towards the rural Farm to Table model they have been suggesting all along.

And since this was already in the works, it is working better in our local area.

However.
How do cities deal with food? I see in the news that inner city people are waiting in line for food at pantries. Our local food pantry has had a huge uptick in visitors according to Bill.

What next?
I don't know.
And I think that is what worries us so much.
There is no guidance from the folks that should be in charge.

So after my meat/store pick up, I'll be back to doing mundane work around our farm.
The yard needs a trim...
The woods need me to hike them...

and Spring is coming on fast...
I would like to enjoy it.





4 comments:

  1. I may have to buy a larger deep freeze! My brother from Oregon says he is buying one when he gets here next week and he is filling it with meat. We have farmers here who raise hogs and beef...our friends!
    I was able to get what I needed from the local butcher shop they buy local and butcher in house and do not allow anyone in their store it is all curbside or delivery in town.
    I am not sure when this madness will end...and what protects us from the next virus that comes along???
    I am discouraged today...but we keep keeping on. Still fricking cold here.
    I am hoping for a vaccine...for us I think it is our only hope. I heard this morning that China is having a second wave...can we trust them to tell the truth or not.
    Hang in there! You are not alone! That wig looks great! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what will protect us or others. I find it strange that it is 100 yrs about since the last pandemic that devastated the world. Will we learn from history? I don't know.
      I am not really discouraged as understanding that this will not just fade away and our lives will continue to change I think.
      I'm all in for living for each day yet planning ahead.
      You hang in too!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1:07 PM

    I love the morning coffee picture, there are days I want to hide too. :) It has crossed my mind countless times that this wasn't the best time to move from property to an apartment, however I know that Hubby and I couldn't grow enough crops or harvest enough meat to sustain ourselves in the rural bedroom community we lived in. I am fortunate to have siblings that live rural and will help ensure I don't go hungry. Good for you in excluding the crossfit gal from your hikes and protecting yourself and Rich. For now all I can do is keep praying and making masks, the Sunday paper had a two page listing of places that needed them, so I'll sew on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are awesome Mary! We have Amish and English sewing masks and in one town not far from here you can pick on up on a clothesline they hung near the center of town. Free!
      Actually I think you made a wise move. Half of me wishes I was in an apartment setting, I know that I had been considering that for my future. I still am.
      Our county count is starting to rise... still rather low, but it is coming...

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.