Thursday, May 28, 2020

Why would you use Infrared in Photography?

I have to admit. I am drawn to experimenting with photography. I can't really help it.

Infrared Photography to be super simple about it, is viewing the world in a different light spectrum.

Our human eyes can only see a certain spectrum of light and having the ability to use the camera to shoot what the eye cannot see is intriguing.
There is a great article on it by Kolari Vision. They are the folks that converted my ancient camera to Infrared Full Spectrum. This only means that I can add a filter to the lens of different wave lengths to achieve different looks from light spectrums.

I really wasn't sure I wanted to do this at all. So the first thing I did was order a small converted point and shoot camera. I used it for about a month and then immediately decided that I need to convert that old camera of mine. 

First ever shots with the point and shoot camera:




665nm Filter
 

So instantly I was hooked, the world looked so incredibly different!

I got to see a world that was so remarkably different. However, getting the proper color swap or false color was and still remains fairly difficult. Processing IR photography isn't as easy as regular photography. Well, that is my opinion. I don't have Adobe Photoshop and haven't purchased the specific software just for Infrared.
After all, I am one of those that likes to find a work around.

Each light filter needs a specific white balance. So each time a person changes their filter, they need to reset it. One should even reset the white balance when the light changes.
Sounds like a pain right? Sounds complicated?
I won't go into all the technical details, but it takes a bit of getting used to.

My idea of learning is to just go out there and learn by doing.

550nm Filter

Morning fog 665nm Filter
Light flare 665nm


Not all of my Infrared images turn out like I expect them to. Sometimes I get a complete dud and other times I take a sow's ear and change it into something more fun.

The sky doesn't have to be blue. The grass doesn't have to be green. I feel like I have the creative license to be the kid I always loved to be. If my grass is red, so be it! If the sky is orange? Why not?


None of these shots were edited in Adobe products. I use ON1, CorelPaintShopPro, and Topaz plug ins. ON1 has a channel swap which gets me close to what I want.
AND...when the colors just don't please me, I can always convert to black and white. This is where Infrared shines anyway.

Here are some IR shots done with an 850nm filter which is strictly for Black and White:



The Pasture on a bright sunny day

These last two photos were edited in a software program I am trying out called DxO PhotoLab 3. If you ever heard of the NIK plugins, these are it, combined into an editing platform. I'm impressed with some features and love how it excels with the black and white photos.


I ordered one more filter. I'm anxious to try it out. It is called the IR Chrome Filter.

I'll let that be a surprise and post photos from that when I get the filter and use it!

For now? Have a good day.
Happy Snapping.



3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:45 PM

    I love the 550nm filter with the red tree, that's really looking at the world with rose colored glasses. :) I'm looking forward to the surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too! And of course I will always try new techniques. I think that is one of the reasons I like photography so much. I can experiment with digital and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to develop it!

      Delete
  2. I love the way you experiment! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.