Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Out and About

Yesterday morning I felt like doing a quick look-see around what we call Tainter Land.
The roads in this particular area are all gravel and in such a deep valley that cell phones are totally worthless.
There is a certain appeal to no cell service right now.

Tainter Hollow Rd, Tainter Hollow East, Tainter Hollow West, and Tainter Road are the twisted lane and a half roads that wind through this particular area.


I knew that no spring plants would be evident, but I went to the Public Land anyway just to walk around.

The beavers have been busy again after the flood. They are rebuilding dams.

Near the edge of the road I found a deer carcass that someone had dumped. This happens often on the more secluded roads.
There is nearly no traffic on the Tainter roads as I think there are only 3 residential places.

The residential places are seasonal and one of them was flooded in 2016. I don't know if they ever came back.

The scenery is pretty typical for our area.
Creeks, streams, gravel roads, steep valleys, and ridge tops.



All within a few minutes drive.

The old timers who have lived here for generations don't build homes near dry runs or in steep valleys. Tainter Road is one example of the 'why'. It will get washed out at least once a year. The valley is so steep and the water rushes down the hillsides and across the roads.
Road destroyed until the township comes with gravel and replaces a road tube.

I stood on Tainter Road East and marveled at the flood debri still stuck in some of the trees above my head. I'm five foot three inches.

The day was dull and I'd taken about an hour of wandering around and simply enjoying the cold damp weather. So it was time to head home.

Things 'seen' on my way home.




I sure do love our back roads and try to take them to town when I am not in much of a hurry.

I think today is another day of errands and then I hope to spend at least one or two days at the farm. Hikes with Dixie and Charlie are surely in order.

The weather for the rest of the week will be a mixed bag. Heavy rains, thunderstorms, and then snow and sleet.

Welcome to April.

2 comments:

  1. Love the looks of that old farm house, it must have been something back in its day! Enjoy the snow:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. That old farm house has been like that for over 20 yrs that I can recall. I'd like to explore it, but it is so far off the road and I'd hate to trespass. I used to have permission to walk in that area, however the land owner is gone and I don't know who owns it now.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.