Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Adventures with a tooth

I had two or three cavities when I was in college. They were rather small ones and I also had a larger one on a back molar.

I was 19 when I had those cavities taken care of. I haven't had one since. I thought that was something to really be proud of.

Last week one of those molars started to bother me. I knew I had a check up coming soon so I sort of ignored it. It was a bit painful for a cold drink.
I had an argument with myself for a few days.

"Call your dentist."
"Don't call, you'll be there in two weeks."

I shrugged the thoughts off. Mother in law's problems and the nursing home kept coming up each day. It seemed there was some sort of 'crisis' either with MIL herself or something that had to do with her situation.
I ignored the nagging in the back of my mouth and marched forward, taking care of things one at a time.

However, the irritation kept coming back in waves. By Thursday afternoon when we left the nursing home I looked across the road and could see my dentist's office. I regretted that I hadn't called. I knew they didn't have Friday hours and besides, the next day was Good Friday.

Our whole town shuts down on Good Friday.
And...I our Kenosha Gang was going to be here.

I'd call for sure on Monday.
Yep. Monday.

By Friday morning my lower jaw was aching. I took some Tylenol. We went hiking and actually the distraction of being outside made the ache a bit more dull.

By Saturday I took some prescription strength Tylenol and fought waves of intense pain up and down the side of my face. However, there was not a thing I could do.
We went hiking and exploring in the back valley. Also known as the Lost Valley.
At supper, I took a bite of the incredibly delicious soup Amanda had made and waves of intense and fierce pain hit me. I had to sit still and concentrate on merely breathing.
Saturday night was a nightmare. At midnight I woke up with waves of undulating pain alongside my jaw and into my ear. I got up and sat on the couch. I seriously considered waking one of our guests to take me to Urgent Care. Somehow I muddled through the painful night and met our company with some coffee in the morning.

They went to Black Bottom Creek without me to take morning photos. I was so tired and in a brain pain fog.
Sunday night was no better.

Monday morning I called the dentist office as soon as they opened. I got in fairly quickly.
Dr. Klum and Sarah ... my neighbor from out on the ridge greeted me. They took me into a room in the dental office I'd never been in. After a quick exam and some poking around Dr. Klum showed me the X ray and explained what happened.
The old filling had pushed out against the tooth and cracked it. She surmised that the tooth was now dying. The pain was a symptom of that.
She pointed out the roots of the tooth and that she could see the swelling.


I had some choices. Root canal, --she'd have to send me to another doctor-- and if the tooth was good enough, they could save it. Or.
Pull it.

We talked about choices. I was totally in fear of both the root canal and the pulling. She said she could schedule me for an oral surgeon to sedate me and extract the tooth.

I asked how she did it. She said she'd totally numb me and I'd feel nothing but pressure and hear noises.

The cost difference was huge.

"Extract it," I said. It was a back molar and I could probably do just fine without it. I couldn't bear the thought of setting up multiple appointments for drilling, cleaning and needles in the mouth. I just wanted the pain to end.

Dr. Klum numbed my inner jaw with something. I laid back in the chair.
I could see her approach with this MONSTEROUS needle and then there was a poke and a pinch. Instantly the pain I'd endured for days stopped.

For whatever reason I started to tear up and cry. Tears rolled down my face. Dr. Klum and Sarah grabbed tissues and asked if I was okay.

I nodded and then finally blubbered out, "It is such a relief! You killed the pain!"
Dr. Klum put her hand on my shoulder and smiled.
I lost count of how many shots of Novocain she put in my mouth. But she and Sarah then talked to me about how the procedure would go for a bit.
I imagine it was to make sure the Novocain was working.

Dr. Klum poked around in my mouth asking if I felt this...or that.
"Nope, nope."

And then she started. I could feel her push and pull and wiggle back and forth. I had a soft block in my mouth that held it open. I could appreciate how difficult it was for her to work as I have been told I have a very small mouth.

Soon she declared, "All done! There it is!" It was as though she'd won a prize. She said it came out perfectly. 

She showed me the tooth and I asked if I could have it. I wanted to look at the thing that had caused me so much pain, anguish, and sleepless nights.
We looked at the tooth more closely.

She turned it over and held it under a magnifying glass so I could see the cracks and the dying roots of the tooth. She pointed out that if we'd left it in longer it would have caused and infection.

"Hmmm." She said, "I think we did the right thing. I don't think a root canal would have saved this tooth."
I smiled.
I'm not sure there are many dentists out there that can make you feel good with their words as they are doing such a procedure on you.

I won't ignore tooth pain again. I think I've learned my lesson.

Thank you to Dr. Klum for doing such a great job.
Thank you Sarah for assisting.

I will still thank you when I receive my bill.

I went home and slept all day. I went to bed at 9 pm and Charlie let me sleep in until 6:30 AM.

I feel human again.



1 comment:

  1. I understand. What a relief to be free of the pain! Good thing you got it taken care of:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.