Friday, June 29, 2012

Badger Update

This will probably be the very last update on Badger and his continued battle with COPD or Equine ROA.
Badger got into some toxic mold in the spring of 2009.  It nearly killed him within 24 hours.  Since then, we have tried medications and steroids.
Despite living outside and getting a dust free hay and environment ... well the best that we could provide, he did fairly okay.
The first year I could still ride him.  The second year, it was spotty.  This year.  I rode him one last time, in May.

True to himself, he walked slowly and we enjoyed watching the sun go down together as we often have over the years.
I didn't know then how he would fare in our unusual hot and humid [sometimes hot dry and dusty] weather.



We have found Badger's resting place, it will not be too far from the house.  This is a photo of him this morning out the window 'pre-dawn'.  I haven't taken many photos of him in the last year because his condition has continued to worsen and well, simply put.  He looks pretty tough.
I have finally come to terms with this.  I cannot let him suffer any longer.
He can barely eat because breathing is so difficult for him.
Yet I do not want to lose my friend of 17 years.
I am hoping that today we can send him over the rainbow bridge to the Merry Meadow where he'll join up with Cheyanne [my old mare], and Xena [Badger and my first terrier].

********
 
When I am gone release me, let me go,
I have so many things to see and do.
You musn't tie yourself to me with tears,
Be happy that we had so many years.

I gave you love and you can only guess
How much you gave me of happiness
I thank you for the love you have shown,
But now it's time I travelled on alone.

So grieve a while for me, if grieve you must
Then let your grief be comforted by trust,
It's only for a while that we must part
So bless the memories within your heart.

I won't be far away, for life goes on,
Though you can't see or touch me, I'll be near,
And if you listen with your heart you'll hear,
All my love around you soft and clear.

And then when you must come this way alone,
I'll be there to greet you with a smile and a
"Welcome Home"

3 comments:

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.