Thursday, February 11, 2010

A day of play



My husband says I should grow up.

Yesterday I got a phone call from the young neighbor lady at the top of the hill. She has two adorable daughters that are 2 and 5 years old.

The girls wanted to know if I could come up and play.

[A few weeks ago, while my hubby was trying to jump start her van on a very cold day, I played with the girls inside to keep them out of everyone's way...]

I said -- of course!
...and off I went. A dozen fresh eggs in hand to give as a gift of friendship.
Hardly did I know that the eggs would excite both daughters and mom! You would have thought that I'd handed them gold.

Mom and I talked, girl stuff. Then as the youngest girl fell asleep, the older one asked if I'd brought my 'snow suit'. I replied that I had my coveralls.
Did I have boots, gloves, and a warm hat?

Indeed I did.

We went out to go sledding.
We took a walk.
We played with their dog, Dutch and taught him how to 'shake hands'. [I think he already knew this]

Then when we got cold we went in and played with the doll house.

I had the best time sitting on the floor and playing with the girls, Ambrose and Clover.
They made sad faces when I had to go back down the hill.

Mom and the girls asked if I could come and play again next week.

Indeed, I can.

...and my husband laughs, saying *finally, there is someone on the ridge that is of my age level*!

Bottom line?
I had a blast.

I can't wait for the next phone call to see~~~

If I can come out to play.

2 comments:

  1. How grand! Sounds like you had a great time and who wouldn't want someone to call and ask if they can come out to play? :)

    It's good to be a kid again sometimes.

    (Thanks for your comments over on my blog...Grey Socks did indeed go to live with a wonderful couple last night.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you had know my husband. For years after our own children left home the town kids would knock on my door whenever there was snow and ask if he could come out and play.

    I am proud of you. You have the spirit of youth. May it never leave.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.