Sunday, November 26, 2023

The Christmas Tree ... starts....


Sometimes you need a supervisor. In my case, the supervisor holds court from the middle of his couch with a chew bone.

I often ask his opinion on things and he just gives me a look and a slight wag of the tale. I take it to mean that he approves of the new 'Christmas Chair' that I purchased this past spring.



It always starts with a deep cleaning. The space I have to work with isn't large at all. I am not one to do things exactly the same way as I've done before so each year, I try a new approach.


This is living room to the south in the photo above....☝👆
and
...the living room to the north...in the photo below....👇
this is it...
now you see almost all of our house. 

The Hutch houses things like camera lenses and Lego builds along with minifigures. The old table is where I do much of my indoor photography.
The room in behind is our tiny bedroom. 

Of course this is what things look like when I have scattered stuff willy nilly...


and then I make a huge mess...


It is no secret that I like boxes. I have old shipping boxes, dynamite boxes and fruit crate boxes as my movable units for books and things I want to display. They all get emptied and rearranged for the month of December. [I actually constantly move them around and restack them the rest of the year.]

In the winter months sunlight comes in directly through the south facing windows so I use a printed shower curtain to diffuse the light. Odd, but it really works and when the curtains are drawn, there is a nice lit up scene to view.

This chair is ugly but it exactly why I love it. The challenge is to make it beautiful. I started this year with a pine cone garland that is bendy-twisty. I'll adorn the chair with it.


In years past, I've always used an old white lacey table cloth as a 'tree skirt'. This year I won't. I want to keep the warm feeling of the wood floor. The lights reflect a nice warm light when bounced off the floor.


I moved my little birch tree into the dining area of the kitchen and added some red battery operated lights. In the dark mornings, it creates a nice glow of color in our eating area.



As soon as deer hunting ends, I'll be out looking for golden rod stalks that have bumps in them along with milkweed pods and grasses to fill my vases with dried floral arrangements. This is something my Grandmother Pearl did in her tiny cottage so many years ago. I always loved her little arrangements.

In the summer I bring in flowers from the garden, in the winter I bring in sticks, grasses, and elements from the outdoors for bouquets. It works for me and gives me pleasure.

Hubby is used to this now after all of our years together. He refers to my bouquets as 'weeds'. 

I won't bore you with any more of my ramblings.

How do you decorate? Do things you use have fond memories? Do you have heirlooms? Real trees? Fake trees? No trees? 
Do you like white lights? Or are you multi colored?
Traditional? Not Traditional?

I decorate with a goal of visual creation in mind. It is more for myself than anyone else as we rarely have visitors here.

My supervisor is the one who takes more interest in what I do....
well....



14 comments:

  1. I like what you do for Christmas. I agree, the wood floor looks good uncovered. I am not decorating. It would be asking for trouble with Gatto. I used to decorate elaborately but over the years I stopped. I like both white lights and colored and I now use an artificial tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that! I had a friend of mine hang a tree upside down from a beam in the ceiling to keep things away from her cat. She never did it again, but it was amusing and very different.
      Thanks for answering the questions!

      Delete
  2. I really had to smile... my husband also described my creations from nature for the vase as "weeds" - they often included goldenrod and huge thistle branches... everything for a floor vase... we now live in a very rural area and I am a lot in the forest. This has meant that I bring little home with me and marvel at everything in the forest.
    Your chair is lovely, I like it... have fun decorating it further.
    We're starting tomorrow. Today is Funeral Sunday, the day of remembrance for the deceased... then the Christmas preparations begin.
    Thanks for your blog post...it was very amusing...hugs for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love picking weeds for winter bouquets. I learned that from my Grandmother. I have a floor vase too that I've started gathering birch branches that have fallen and soon it will have milkweed pods and other pretty branches in it too!

      I love your remembrance for the deceased. Each Christmas, I bring out my MIL's costume jewelry I kept that is red and green and add it to our decorations so she can be with us in our hearts.
      :)

      Delete
  3. I love the supervisor's final eye roll! I have a little box of items, some tiny toys from son's childhood, tiny creches, which will come out onto the mantle piece later in December. I keep them up till twelfth night, so there's no rush to put them out early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I have ornaments and items that are very special to me too that I bring out just for the month of December.

      Delete
  4. Your Christmas chair is just fabulous. I do like the omission of the skirt, although I like it with the skirt, this is new for this year. Your decorations fit the space and feel so homey. I am a fellow box collector. Sometimes I have to stop myself. My theme this year seems to be piles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may use something like some garland to cover up the tree supports so I can photograph the naughty toys playing under the tree without having to look at the cords and supports.

      Our house is very small so I got the idea years ago to only do half a tree and then added the ugly chair. One year I just used branches I stuck together! That was fun too!

      Delete
  5. Cute chair and you have a really good start! Oh Charlie...he is so cute:) I love old ornaments, I miss my Shiny Brite tree:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My MIL had a feather tree that I really admired and antique ornaments that were incredible and much nicer than what we can find today.
      I had to look up Shiny Bright Trees. Apparently they have remakes of them?
      There is quite the history of Shiny Bright! Thanks for that info!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous6:15 PM

    Could Charlie be any cuter? I always have loved your Christmas chairs and can't wait to see this one. We have not had a tree in decades, but do have a lot of white Twinkie lights and a few homemade ornaments. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't always have a tree either, sometimes it was just a bouquet of branches in a nice container or other things. We'd love to see what you have too Lori!

      Delete
  7. I love your unique chair & decorants!! Such cute photos of Charlie <3 Red looks good on him. I had to look up Shiny Bright Trees too.

    I used to decorate over the top. Multiple trees with various color combos (ex. all green or blue & white - not multi). One real and 4 fake ones, big and small. Each kid had their own mini tree. I gifted collectable ornaments to them each year. When the kids got older, I was the only one decorating and enjoying their overpriced Hallmark ornaments. We cut a tree each year. The kid ornaments went on the family real tree. I stopped much of the decorating (and cutting a real tree) when it was less meaningful for the kids. They do all still have their box of keepsake ornaments.

    I do miss the kids homemade ornaments. Along with a few heirloom ornaments from my mom. Every "thing" I hang onto brings fond memories.

    These days I put up one old white fake tree. It mainly has my bird/houses and Brads wolf ornaments. Odd combo, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone has/or does something that may be meaningful to them personally.
      When I first met Rich he said he didn't like Christmas or anything about it. I told him not to look then as I hung up bows and put up our first tree.
      He enjoys it now.

      bird houses and wolf ornaments....it just says that you like wildlife!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.