Saturday, November 11, 2023

That Tough Little Dog

Thursday morning, I looked at the weather and decided that even if it was really windy, I would go on my hike.

There are ways to avoid winds when you live in an area that is steeped with hills and valleys.

Charlie is finally getting used to his Hi-Vis vest. It isn't a coat but more of a canvas vest with bright colors and reflective strips on it. He gets excited now when I bring it out of its basket. He knows we are going on a car ride and hike. 


You would think that such a short little dog like him would be reluctant to go on hikes.
Nope. Charlie lives for cooler weather and adventure. 

Of course he has been raised as a hiking dog from the get go. So he doesn't know that most of his kind of mixed breed prefer the couch and long days of napping. He can do that too, in fact he can excel at it. 

Now if I grab a backpack he is on high alert and watches me like a hawk.

Once we got on the trail, he trotted forward. He does stop and make sure I am coming along. A few times he slowed to a crawl and had me go ahead. He seemed hesitant. He may have smelled coyotes or other creatures.




Cellphone shot looking up at Hanson's Rock


Trail below Hanson's Rock.
I love both the trail that goes on top of the rock and the steep
trail that goes around the bottom of the rock formation.



Short video of a 360 view of where we were standing-- almost 30 seconds.



It was an amazing walk through the steep valleys near Hanson's Rock. Parts of the trail were pretty intense for footing because of the deep leaves. Under the leaves there are roots and rocks that would be ankle turners if one didn't exercise caution. 

I even broke off a nice stick and used it as a walking stick to negotiate the worst section. I do recall riding this part of the trail in 1996 and being thankful that I was on a mule that seemed not to be bothered by the footing.


We headed down towards the most remote campsite on the Kickapoo Valley Reserve at campsite F. From any trail head you choose, it is over a 3 mile trek to get to. Charlie and I took a break there and shared and apple and some water.

We found the foundation of the old spring house and explored that. The fresh watercress smelled amazing.


The rest of our journey was rather unexciting, we just tried to hurry up a bit so I could get home before dark. We took the West Ridge trail back which is wider than some of the other trails and is better maintained.


I thought Charlie would collapse and fall asleep in his little car seat. He didn't. He sat up and made sure I navigated properly in order to get home.

Once at home, he shed his vest and assisted me with chores before taking a snooze on the couch.

That is one tough little dog!


5.81 miles




10 comments:

  1. What a great you-kinda hike! November photos are looking good!! Cool old Spring House remains. Charlie is indeed a tough little dog. Taking a long challenging hike in stride, and then some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie didn't act as if it were challenging at all...goofy dog!
      November is a challenge to love photographically, but I am trying!

      Delete
    2. You are doing an admirable job!

      Delete
  2. Charlie hikes farther than I would! What a great outing for you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as long as I am able, I will continue to hike. But I have a beautiful area to do it in.

      Delete
  3. You do have a beautiful area. Charlie has me beat by a mile. Actually, 5.8 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:48 PM

    Love the trails you have there! And Charlie! What a trooper! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie looks so cute in his little jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking with you :-)) Nice route, I would like it too. I like the forest very much.
    It's wonderful that you have such an attentive companion... many warm wishes to you from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go, Charlie! Good dog for making sure all was well.
    Love the sun peeking through the tree photo and the shadows of the trees. That low sun angle at this time of year makes for interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.