Tuesday, November 07, 2023

Oh Deer...it is that time of the year


The leaves are gone from the trees and the foliage in the woods has died back making the spotting of deer easier.

This doe was feeding under one of the apple trees on the other side of the driveway. She and three others walked alongside the fence and up the driveway to investigate what my neighbor's woods had to have for munchies.



The photo below is part of the reason why electric fencing is awesome and awful. During the rut, the deer just tear it down.
The hot wire will be removed as none of the mules bother the fence any longer. This hot wire kept our elderly mule from jumping the wire fence and crossing into the neighbor's land. It is disconnected like all of our valley fencing is right now. 


 Then there was this guy yesterday morning who was scanning the meadow as does were busy eating around the apple trees.




At first I couldn't figure out what I was seeing. I thought it was bare branches of a dead tree and with the long lens I was able to see this magnificent buck. No matter how much I dislike what deer are to cars and crop damage, ...
there is nothing like seeing a buck like this.

He was built like a beef bull. Thick in the neck and everywhere else.







Eventually the chase was on. I don't know if any of the girls were actually ready for him. But they ran across the meadow and disappeared into the woods below.


I went back out in the evening and sat in the little tree stand I'd made this summer. For a long time nothing happened until I saw these does at the apple tree.

This doe seemed to be enjoying the afternoon sunlight.


This one across the meadow walked along quietly browsing. I can generally see them walking this route late in the day.


As the sun went down some little ones came out into my meadow.


Then a little buck came through browsing and sniffing the air. He walked along as if he owned the world then dipped into the woods.


This is the time of the year where I get to enjoy the movements of the deer. There are a LOT of deer this year. 

I don't hunt for venison but I never turn down the meat if someone gives some to us. I like it. If I did hunt though, I imagine I could feed the two of us well. When Rich hunted, our freezer was always stocked.

Right now? I'm happy photographing them and watching. 


10 comments:

  1. The deer population was so small when I lived in southern Iowa as a kid. It was so rare to see any. When I lived in Woodward, Iowa, we had herds of them that would be in our neighboring field. One time we had to stop the car to let the herd cross the road. They eat a lot of seed that has fallen from harvested fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is Deer vs. vehicle season right now until the rut calms them down.

      Delete
  2. Nice buck! We have resident mule deer here and a small herd of white tail does that we rarely see. It is nice having them here- they are so close to the house sometimes! But they are a pain when it comes to trying to grow a garden. There are several towns in southern BC that have problem deer- they live in the towns and are a real pest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many suburban areas the deer are a horrible pest. The herds around here are pretty large when I can count 20 or so on a summer night in an oat field.
      Pretty to look at though.

      Delete
  3. This is a relaxing way to spend the day. The buck is beefy! I don't think I have ever seen one in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joke that I've not had a full day at work unless I've seen "deer of the day"!! We are lucky to have a full freezer of venison, I don't like fatty meat so it's one of my favourites and I can't help but feel it is also one of the most ethical meats to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some nice photos, that is such a nice buck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We now have enough deer in town that we don't need to hide in a deer stand for photographs. A doe was at the high school today trying to get in the doors and we were all treated to photos from the security cameras on Facebook. We have a group that gathers on our street corner early in the morning before the school bus comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a nuisance! My brother says in his neighborhood they have trouble with trees and of course their beautiful gardens as the deer leave the woods and munch on their plants.

      Their populations are way too high!

      Delete
  7. Nice colorful action photos! I do not care for venison, but my family does. We do not see many sizable deer on our property. Kids don't even bother hunting it anymore. They hunt with friends who do have older deer. Our area is over hunted. Some neighbors harvest anything, regardless of age/size.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.