Thursday, November 16, 2023

Hiking Wildcat Mountain State Park



I went hiking with Aurora again for our Fall hike at Wildcat Mountain State Park. We were too late for the peak fall colors but we still had almost picture perfect weather for our hike. The Old Settler's Trail drops from the ridge to a valley where we walked in peace and out of the gusts of winds.

We had our 'fearless' leader lead the way. Funny how he seems to know the trails by heart. He has only done this trail three times.



There are a few very steep parts of the trail and one is at the trail head where you descend log and dirt stairs down into a valley. The part we all forget is that this is a lollipop loop which means you have to come back up those stairs. 

The other steep part is coming around the base of the outcropping of rock and following the steep log and dirt steps up to the top of the rock. There is a look out on top with a guard rail to keep the idiots from climbing out on the prepuces and falling. 




I hopped over the railing and stepped to the edge as I have done for years.
In the summer you have to walk through poison ivy to see the tip of the rock.





Really, it isn't that scenic and wild at the end of the rock. The beauty is all around when you look down at the forest and valley below from the proper place behind the barriers. This rock and the scene it looks down on are best viewed in early spring and late fall.

I love the visuals on the trail. My favorite it this long bridge. This trail is also used for snowshoeing in the winter.


Same bridge in August 2020:


How different things look in different seasons. Try the winter! 
December 2016:




The trail through the pine stand was one of the trails I was so looking forward to. In years past, this has always been so incredibly beautiful no matter what the season. However, last years heavy wet snowfall combined with high winds took its toll on this gorgeous part of the trail.

August 2020:

and early morning in 2016:




Much to our surprise we were lucky enough to spot a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers. I was only able to get these two halfway decent shots of one of them working on a tree.



I have two nesting pairs of these in our surrounding forest. They are shy birds that generally are hard to see unless you are deep in the forest. This was one of the rare times that I/we got to watch them work while seemingly undisturbed by our presence.


Another look at the trails that run through the woods in the summer.
August 2020:



Meanwhile we headed back towards the parking lot with the late afternoon sun shining down into the trees below us just before having to climb back up the steep stairway.


I really think these trails are stunning in any light and any season.

Last but not least...there is the overlook next to the parking lot. The view is downright stunning.

Our view on Wednesday:


and just below the overlook a view of the river taken at the same outlook at a different angle in October 2018:


This view looks down on the Kickapoo River.


Aurora and I had fun walking, talking, moving slippery leaves out of our way so we wouldn't slip and fall. The fun part of hiking with Aurora is that she has taught me to look at things differently with my eyes and camera.

Last note.
There are also up to 15 to 20 miles that are for equine and hikers. That may be my next challenge. 

7 comments:

  1. You had a great day! Fearless Leader knows the way, he will get you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the little leader seems to know how to take us on trails and keep us on track!
      It was beautiful even for November. I wish I'd taken more shots of the cool rocks....
      Just will have to go back I gues!

      Delete
  2. Fun seeing photos of the trails in different seasons. You captured Wildcats beauty in all of them. I am glad we were finally able to get together in person. It only took just over one year, but we made it happen. Thanks for hiking with me :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really shocked at how the pine stand had been decimated by Mother Nature, I recall it as much prettier. But that is what happens and I am glad you were with me to explore that! I still have to download YOUR Lego person! :)
      Charlie had a great time too!

      Delete
  3. I, too, really like the photos showing the same location in different seasons. Each one has it's own beauty. Sounds like you had some pretty great hiking partners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:37 PM

    Amazing trails!!!! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good day with Aurora and Charlie! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.