Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Under construction ...

This year the decorations will be about toys. I have to admit, I like toys.
My toys will have a chance to come out and play.

A lot of my toys and some of the decorations are items that have fond memories associated with them. I'm sure this is true for most of us who have had children and who've seen them grow up.


The red jointed teddy bear is one I made many years ago while making many teddy bears and other toys. I couldn't afford the price of a Care Bear when the boys wanted one for Christmas so I tried my hand at making toys. I found out that I couldn't sew a dress or pants, but could certainly whip together a difficult toy! 

The Christmas Teddy bear is sitting on a Turtle stool.




The stool was made by a man named Orlando Potts who was an uncle or grand uncle to Rich's daughter. He handmade that turtle stool. It is dated.... and signed. I found it in the garage years ago. It was under a pile of junk and it was very dirty. Rich commented that his daughter no longer had a use for it and he didn't know why he saved it, he just did.

I cleaned the Turtle up and put it in our house. The Turtle has a story and a history. Besides, when little people play at my house, they always drag out the Turtle to sit on!



The nesting box for chickens was an item used as a coffee table in my mother in laws house as long as I could recall.

My father in law knew I loved it and promised to build me a replica. He cut up all the boards and was set to do the woodworking when he died.

I coveted this odd piece of furniture for years. When it came up for auction at my mother in law's estate sale I went for it. I probably paid too much money for it. But I wanted it. It suits my house in all seasons.


The boxes on top of the stack are actually drawers from old fancy pedal sewing machines. I found most of them in the shed or garage filled with rusty nails and bolts. I spent a lot of time cleaning them up. I found ones like them for sale at an antique store for a ridiculous amount of money.

Below the drawers is a bolt shipping crate.

On the bottom is a Dynamite box. I'd love to know more about who got a box of dynamite and how it was shipped! The tiny button bears I made live there right now with a cowboy snowman and a felt needled snowman I'd used to decorate my MIL's nursing home room.


I suspect that those toys will move around. The tiny teddy bears will no doubt get into things when I am not looking.

Those gnomes sound like they are plotting against their nemesis: The Elf on the Shelf.

The Lego people are just waiting until I turn my back.
I saw this just before I went to bed!

Santa! It isn't time yet.
He yelled out that he was just taking the reindeer out for a spin to get them warmed up for the big night...


What surprises will the toys have for me? 






9 comments:

  1. I love your decorating style! So many family memories and precious toys! So warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just go with the flow and change it up all of the time.

      Delete
  2. The bear and the turtle stool are wonderful! You have a joyous spirit. You also have great toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband says I haven't grown up yet. He may be right.

      Delete
  3. That Turtle Stool is just the best ever, if I were a little kid I would love it! Your Christmas corner looks so festive and cheerful! I see Santa has arrived early:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is just practicing he claimed....
      I love that Turtle stool! Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5:31 PM

    I love the chair and other decorations! You sure have this down. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is all for fun and cheerful colors.

      Delete
  5. What a special red teddy!! So well made, and with love. You have crafty skills! Your house looks so festive. Love the boxes, and turtle too.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.