Friday, November 20, 2020

Charlie & Gun Season....


 


Charlie is bummed. He misses his friend Basil and the new pup Stella that live up the hill.
They haven't been socializing at all and he misses seeing people.

Here he is the other day all dressed up just for fun in his Hawaiian shirt. He used to wear it when we went to the nursing home. Of course he hasn't seen many people this year at all. Once he got to visit with Tom, the UPS guy and once with Danny the farrier when he delivered my custom made Shepard's hook [more about that later!].

Yesterday I took him for a walk with me to the creek and 'round about to the Rock Fort. I had brought a couple of stuffed toys and thought of doing a little 'toy story' sort of like a storyboard thing. I had some ideas bouncing around in my head after my call from Lin. 

While we were back by the Fort, off in the distance, someone was sighting in their rifle for the start of Gun Deer Season.

Charlie literally became a shaking quivering puddle of Pekinhound. I was photographing the toys in the late afternoon sunlight [perfect!!!] when he became instant mush and literally tried to climb my legs. 

To deal with it and still finish what I wanted to do, I placed my toys then sat down in the leaves and dirt so Charlie could climb into my lap and quiver. I offered him a dog treat and he ignored it.

Damn. Time to rescue the poor guy and head to the house. I picked him up and juggled my things. The shooting abated for a bit so I was able to stop and photograph the Twin Fawns.


Someone closer by started shooting again. Charlie ran to me, then turned and made a beeline to the house. I found him at the porch door quivering and shaking.

I opened up the door and he tried to climb up Rich's leg. 

It may be a long nine days for Charlie.
However, if I can have Rich keep the volume up on the TV while he is watching, perhaps it won't be so bad for him.

If he can hear the shots [which there will be an abundance of] he will become the Shaking Velcro Dog.

Sigh.



4 comments:

  1. So much shooting during hunting season. I sometimes wonder if it is simply target practice or people just wanting to fire their guns at something. There is no way there are THAT many deer out there. Plus, I know people like my cousins and my brother. If they did not see anything for a while, they would find a tin cat to shoot just because... Probably because hey did not have "ammo conservation" like I did. ($8 for a box of shell back in the day!... That's a lot for someone working at McDonalds!) If not deer season, here is always duck season and small game, but those are usually limited to weekends. Then the forest will be peaceful again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love to target practice and on occasion will take out my .22 pistol and place a few on a target just to stay sharp. I have never hunted the white tail, just too much work to process. I've hunted raccoon for pelts years ago which really made a person work hard for the payoff.

      Around here each evening during gun season it seems like the guys unload their weapons by firing them.
      My biggest concern is all the fellows that come from the cities to this remote property and don't know the land or where buildings and boundaries are.
      I always am happy when the season ends. I like venison and it kept my family in meat more than one winter.

      Cuddles with Charlie for this weekend and loud music...me thinks!
      Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. Poor Charlie....he needs ear plugs LOL! Love his Hawaiian suit!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, he does. But fortunately this morning he didn't hear the shooting, the concentrator noise is loud enough to drown out most of the far off shots, so we had a pretty quiet day.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.