Friday, November 13, 2020

What about Thanksgiving?

I follow a few blogs and one thing that just came up for discussion by The Midnight Carver was Thanksgiving.

His post titled:  2020, The Year's Saddest Thanksgiving? Is a pretty good read. It makes one think. 

I can recall the year my boys and I had hotdogs for Thanksgiving. Their father was on duty and the boys and I thought it would be fun to have hotdogs and create our own picnic. Of course my ex gave me a dressing down for that. The kids and dogs didn't mind that we didn't have turkey and all the other crap that went along with it.

Thanksgiving.

I can recall as a child travelling 12 hours by car in the 60's...mind you, that was before the interstate was built...going to my Grandparents cottage to spend Thanksgiving with the Up North Family. My sister and I slept on the couch, I have no recollection of where my brother slept, or where my parents slept. 
We ended up at my Aunt's house where gobs of the family showed up. My Aunt also had indoor plumbing which was really nice.

We cousins were put in the entryway to the house at a couple of card tables and left with dishes that our mom's made up for us to eat. I can recall that we decided to take the squash [which was not up to our tastes] and stack it in a pile in the center of the table. We added things to our squash sculpture, like green beans, chunks of bread, toothpicks, and anything else we could think of.

We were having a grand time until The Moms came to check on us. Then all Hell Broke Loose. We kid cousins abandoned the table and went out to play in the snow on the hillside. Never mind the deer hunters. We escaped to the hill and used boxes as sleds. 

The Parents stayed inside the house and did whatever parents and family did on Thanksgiving. We kids had a blast. Playing dangerous games with our cousins was just about as fun as making Squash Sculptures. 

I don't recall many Big Family Thanksgivings after that year. The Sisters had a falling out and soon after we stopped the long trek to the North Land. 

I tried as a parent to participate in a family Thanksgiving with my Mom and Her Boyfriend and my Dad...sister...and her husband. It was awkward. My ex wasn't well liked so they berated me about him. Mom and Her Boyfriend got drunk a lot and my kids didn't like squash any more than I did at their age. My sister's husband was an Ass, but the cousin kids did get to play together and have fun. My poor Dad was there because he was included, but my Mom and Her Boyfriend couldn't help but take opportunities to pick on him also.

I stayed with my Dad at this house and truthfully, I think we could have had hotdogs and chips and been very happy.

This year?
It will be us. Charlie, Rich, and I. 

Thanksgiving doesn't bring about fond and warm fuzzy memories. 

To bring my mother's side of the family back together would require all relatives to leave weapons and attitudes at the door.

There won't be hotdogs, but we will have a nice quiet little meal. And it won't be a sad Thanksgiving as we are happy and thankful to be here for each other.

That is good enough for me.



6 comments:

  1. Sounds about right. The BEST thanksgivings we had as a family growing up was just me, my brother, and Mom and Dad. Sometimes we would have close friends to the family show up. We would hunt in the morning and come in famished. Mom would cook a huge meal and we would all eat that Turkey. ( Mom's was he best... always moist and tender. just not very Photogenic) Honestly, some of the most disasterous thanksgivings were still fun to remember. (Like the year our family's friend's sister brought "The Turkey". 18 lbs... still frozen rock hard... On thanksgiving day! Mom and Aunt Flo got drunk they were so pissed! But the sides were still awesome. Happy Small Thanksgiving! No matter what the Chicago Mayor has to say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's those memorable times when things don't go perfect that stick in your minds forever. Semi disastrous Thanksgivings are always a bit more fun in my books.
      The best ones were when I was home from college and my brother's friends would come to our house to escape their disastrous Thanksgivings.

      Delete
  2. Memories some good some bad for you. Real life I guess. Sledding in boxes yeah! Not many hills for sledding in Minnesota. I recall lots of dishes to wash and dry:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't find those Thanksgivings as being terrible, just realistic as no family is perfect.
      Those were some very memorable times and I still look on them fondly with a twist of a grin.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:46 PM

    I am looking forward to another small Thanksgiving, same as last year. I decided I was done with hosting big Thanksgiving meals and being exhausted by the time everyone left. Hubby and I will have a chicken hotdish, chunks of chicken mixed with the stuffing and baked and will be so thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds similar to us. I think chicken breasts baked this year with veggies and squash...but no squash sculpture...and cake for dessert since pies are pretty much beyond my skills!
      I am realizing that our time together is more important now than ever.
      I have all I need here to make us a quiet simple supper.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.