Wednesday, November 04, 2020

November Pasture Fun

 So I'm sure this Election Day will be well remembered.

What did you do? I'd voted already, voted early. My goal for the day was to mix up Chicken soup, make bread, and head out to the woods to do battle with more Buckthorn trees. 

I'm doing the easy route first before I go tackle the harder stuff. I'd cleared 8 trees from one area that I've been working on. I didn't use the Black Bag method, but I did saw them down with a hand saw, then applied brush killer to the stumps [per instructions from DNR videos and foresting videos]. I then wrapped them in white bags and painted other stumps yellow so I can see if they sprout this coming spring.

The Black Bag method is supposed to deprive the stump and roots from getting sunlight and nutrition. I thought since I didn't have the bags, I'd brush the killer on the stump and wrap it in a plastic bag to deprive it of...I don't know...water? If nothing else, it will keep me from tripping over them for a while.




I've let the trees sit for three weeks to dry out a bit. Then I've chopped them up and put them in a small pile to burn. I make a small fire and just add to it.

That little job took me all morning. But the trees were burned and the coals raked out. I moved west to work on another section of pasture. Rich had cleared things with his skid steer quite a few years ago. I personally think that all that disturbed soil let in more Buckthorn Trees and nasty weeds.

Below are more piles I've made by clearing out multiflora rose bushes and Elderberry trees that have choked the area. In the spring I can pull most of those plant stumps up right out of the ground. But here I have won the battle of against the burdock!





There is a small outcropping of rocks that are really neat. Over the years they have become overgrown with the dreaded Buckthorn too. But since the roots have to be very shallow on the rocks, many have died leaving a huge mess.

I'm going to take that little area and do 'something' with it. Clean it up for sure, but I'd love to make it a place I can walk to and sit. 



The soil is very rich and fertile around the rocks.
I'm thinking of moving some ferns into the area.

Maybe I'm just a dreamer. But I needed an outdoor project to keep me from going nuts this November. 

For my inside entertainment, I've taken the huge balls of material that I inherited from my Grandmother by way of a cousin...and I am crocheting a new rug to be placed by the kitchen sink. Grandma used to weave her rugs, but I don't have room for a loom and crocheting is easy. Well, sort of. My rag rugs have usually turned out lopsided. However they are very functional.

Off I go early tomorrow as the sun comes up. 

Staying home is a good thing.
Covid-19 has sickened a whole house on our ridge as well as infiltrated assisted living in town, as well as one of the nursing homes. 
[One house is a lot ... we have 5 homes on our ridge.]

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:44 AM

    I pray the sick family recover and that it is not the scavenger hunt kids. Good job on the clearing the buckhorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it isn't. I got a text telling me that the one son has been sick now for 3 weeks. :(

      Delete
  2. Clearing brush is no fun job. But usually things look so much better with all those thorns and brambles out of the way. (Mushrooms love to hide under thorns and poison ivy for some reason) Have you ever considered goats as "brush control?" I hear they even keep poison ivy in check. I used to hate it when Mom would "volunteer" my brother and me to help clear Grandpa's land. I swear he did it the most difficult way possible. Brush hog? No. Chainsaw? nope! Grandkids with small rusty saws and cloth gloves that do not protect your hands. Ding! Ding! Ding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the adult with nippers, machete, and hand saw. The area is too congested with trees in most places for a brush hog and too rocky. But goats would certainly be helpful. I'd have to really do extra fencing to keep them in place or purchase electric netting fence.
      Goats are rented out to do just that for a pretty good price. Our county uses them at their parks to keep Buckthorn and other weeds in check.
      I've had milking goats years ago and would entertain the thought of a small herd, but then I'd have more work and would need to build them a shelter.
      LOL.
      At least I have nice thick gloves! However I am wearing many little cuts from the thorns.

      Delete
    2. Ps...I do have a goat. He hikes with me and trims around the implements!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.