Sunday, November 01, 2020

234 Days ago

234 Days ago was the last time my husband and I were off the Farm together for anything social.

We'd bought candy and cards and took his mother flowers for her birthday which was to be the next day. She was turning 89 years old. Rich 'drove' his mom's wheelchair to lunch and we spent time visiting with everyone at her table at Bethel Home. She was so excited to have her son there and to introduce him to the 'cast' of characters that she had meals with.


This was the last time we were able to see her. The next day the nursing home called us to tell us because of Covid-19, they were suspending visits. However we could call and set up video calls.


That day was also the last day that I'd worked out physically at CrossFit.  Pictured is me with the two fellows I usually worked out with. We figured the gym was going to get shut down. It was...

Bam. The doors were shut. The State entered the Safer At Home Order March 25th. I'd sort of anticipated shortages at the grocery stores but was flabbergasted by the great Toilet Paper shortage.



The WI Supreme Court lifted the 'lockdown' in a court battle. I won't get into the politics there at all. We were careful. We followed the science listened to Rich's VA doctors. We turned to virtual medical appointments. And Rich thrived on being a Hermit. He went out and mowed the yard for the first time in 3 years. His memory isn't better, but around his machinery it is like he never took a hiatus.

I took up Virtual CrossFit. In order to keep my sanity, I needed to work out and challenge myself physically. 




Then the phone call came from the nursing home. Rich's mom took that turn ... I went in and sat with her for 3 days. I was not allowed out of her room and they brought meals to me.



We had a small service outside with good social distancing on July 4th. I was a bit relieved. His mom did not have to keep wondering why we didn't come to visit. We would explain each time we talked with her but she didn't understand.

Summer dragged on. The only time we saw anyone not from our farm was those who saw us at the funeral.

We had surprise guests over Labor Day Weekend from Missouri. They stayed in their camper at a local county park.

I really started to miss my friends from Kenosha and visits from my sons. I used to go hiking with my neighbor and her children. We visited once in a while across the fenceline. 

What now? 

Most of the time I'd say that I'm fine without any company. But I did look forward to visits. Ever since Rich's multiple health incidents we have stayed home most of the time. It stopped most of my travels because he can't care for himself any more. 

What is happening in our country? We are close to an election. What will happen in the next few days?

What will the next 122 days bring us?

What will I say to myself when we hit the one year mark?





8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:59 AM

    This is a very difficult time to say the least. I understand how hard it is to not be with loved ones. Prior to the stroke my brother understood why I couldn’t visit, but that changed and even the video calls didn’t help. I can’t explain the terrible pain in my heart for my brother and your MIL as well as the many families who have lost loved ones. I think staying physically strong helps and you are a continual inspiration to me for working out. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The hardest was not going to see MIL, I really did enjoy her and those she was with at the nursing home.

      Delete
  2. From one hermit to another...stay safe...I sure hope the worst of this is over by the one year mark...but I am a wishful thinker. I just watched the virtual funeral for my cousin who died of covid 21 people were there that included the Honor Guard. So anything is better than a funeral...one day at a time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for your loss. Yes at the year mark what will things be like?
      I am very thankful for having my husband, the animals, Charlie, and this beautiful area to help me deal with everything this year.

      Delete
  3. Sorry for your loss.I am in the healthcare field and it has been a tough year. We just have to appreciate each moment given to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do and though her death was expected from late stage kidney failure, it was hard for me to not be able to continue all summer to see her.
      At least she is not in pain anymore and we take comfort that she is not now dealing with more of being 'locked' in. She didn't understand it so it was so hard on her.

      Delete
  4. What will tomorrow bring???? Hang on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lori, I don't know. But here I am. I'll be turning off the phones, except for those calls from contacts and putting things on do not disturb.
      The Pandemic will not end by tomorrow, and we still have a long way to go. Do I watch the news tonight or not? I don't know.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.