Friday, September 04, 2020

The Moon and the Ponds

Tuesday morning I woke up with a start and suddenly I was wide awake. I warmed up some coffee and looked outside. The moon was so bright it lit up the yard and front pasture.

Most of the mules were laying down sleeping. I sipped the coffee and then checked the clock and sunrise time.

It was a split second decision. I scribbled a note on a sticky note, set up the coffee maker and headed outdoors with my Kurgo dog pack/camera bag. Time to take it for a test run. 

I've wanted to go to the Reserve and hike to the ponds by the river for more than a year now. This morning, it was time.

I felt a bit like I was indulging in a guilty pleasure by going. And I was. I was doing something I really wanted to experience and it would be a test run.

I shouldered the backpack into place and hit the lock button. The headlamp I chose lit up the way but I turned it off rather quickly.

This photo above was taken hand 
held at 2 seconds. Part of 
why I love this Olympus
brand so much.
Image Stabilization!




By the time I got to the Old 131 trail, it was light enough by the moon and predawn to walk without a light.

I stopped here and there to take some shots. Wow. I sure love my Olympus camera, the image stabilization along with an incredibly fast 25mm 1.8 lens allowed me to take most shots quite easily along the trail. Thank goodness too, it saved me from having to set up a tripod and take the shot.

I hurried down Old 131 trail and listened as the birds sleeping in the brush along the trail fluttered as I walked by. Most of the world was still asleep. I felt calm, energized, and fully alive.

The first shot is more true to the colors of the morning. Absolutely not much to go 'Wow!' over, but it was amazing anyway.
The water had a mist flowing and ebbing over its surface. I could barely make out a gaggle of Canada Geese slowly gliding through the fog on the far side of the pond.


Next I heard a loud splash and then another. I wasn't sure what it could be. Fish? Surely no huge fish like that were in these ponds!

Finally I could make out what was either a beaver or muskrat swimming. I tried getting a photo of it, but alas, it came out as a blob. So there was a blob swimming around!


I took the above shot and used a program called SilverEfexPro to create a black and white version. I really like this version better. 



I wanted to wait around for the sun to actually peep over the horizon and for the fog to turn that magical orange color. But my time was limited. I had done this on the spur of the moment and worried that Rich would wake up and not find me home.



I decided right then and there, that I'd set things up so I could spend an hour or so just watching the pond and sky change colors and take my time. I just had to plan it.



It is just amazing how the light and clouds change.

I turned away but kept my camera out for a bit.

As I left I grabbed a few more shots.

Looking back and down the trail towards the pond....


Heading back up towards Star Valley Trail and looking down the valley.


Walking up Star Valley Trail and glancing across the corn field towards Black Hawk Rock.

It hit me then that two trips would be in order. One back to the ponds and more time. And another ... 

Watch the sun come up from atop Black Hawk Rock.



To be above the fog by predawn and watch as the valley shifts and changes would be something to see.

To stand up there ... I'd be about 400 feet above the Valley floor.

How did the backpack preform? Excellent! It held my cameras in their special insert easily. I carried water and some other supplies. It fit comfortably.

So without a dog, I can carry equipment and supplies. With a dog? I can carry my pocket camera and supplies. 

Today...Friday, I'm taking Charlie and the backpack on a long hike with my friend Bill. I'll see how Charlie's 12 to 15 lbs are to carry!


3 comments:

  1. Oh I hope it went well for you and Charlie! Anxious to heaqr the report! Your photos are all lovely...way to go getting up early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! Charlie didn't need the backpack it was a short 3 mile hike. He was full of it all the way back to the vehicles! But I put him in the pack twice just to get him used to it and carried him a short way.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:58 PM

    I spent time this morning envisioning myself relaxing on that bench. Thank you for continuing to share your self care hikes through pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.