Wednesday, September 02, 2020

Caregivers workshop

 Caregivers workshop....


some bulletin points to ponder and share with you.

  • We never expected to be Caregivers.
  • We did not apply for the job.
  • We never trained for this job.
  • We are sometimes angry.
  • We may feel guilty about being angry.
  • We chose to be Caregivers.
  • We can walk away but we don't.
  • We are often stressed.
  • We all know that caregiving can bring a lot of joy to our lives.


Problem solving is part of our class for this week. I won't share conversations about it, but there seem to be many people out there that are giving care but are having such a hard time coping due to poor health themselves along with the person they are caring for.

I am so very lucky in the sense I seem to be in very good health. The hardest thing to deal with right now of course is Isolation and Communication. Also there is dealing with the frustrations of trying to get the person I care for to follow instructions to keep his health halfway decent. Every three or four days we seem to run into that same problem over and over. I'd had to see a medication change because of it but it may be what would be in store for him.

The morning's discussions are lost by noon or 1pm gone into mental greyspace. But in general, he is a happy person. That is why I don't want to change the meds.

Yesterday I was getting ready to order our winter hay and he decided that he would shop around. I told him that he had until Monday to find someone who would bring us 30 large squares and deliver them. I know he won't call around but I have to at least give him the chance to hold on to his dignity.

He forgot of course.

On a good note, I'm getting him used to the idea that there are a few things I need to have fixed around the place and my neighbor's son has been working as a 'handy' man. New belts on the lawn mower? Maybe I can hire it done. Fix the kitchen sink? Perhaps I can get a new 'cartridge' installed by hiring it done. IF it can be done on a nice day with the windows open and masks of course.

Problem Solving. 

Yup, I'm on it...




1 comment:

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.