Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Dog Songs

After my morning routine, I sat down with a new book that had arrived. It is called Dog Songs  written by Mary Oliver. She is a renowned poet and essayist that I admire greatly.

I couldn't resist the small book.



Charlie decided it was a good idea to lay across my lap while I read.
*****


If you are a dog owner, or have ever been a dog owner. I recommend this book. The book will make you smile and it will make you cry, or at least get teared up.

Her poem The First Time Percy Came Back struck me in the heart like I never though possible.
She speaks of seeing Percy and the reader understands that Percy is no longer of this world.
Yet in her writing you know beyond any doubt that Percy has never left her heart.

I think Mary Oliver loved dogs as she loved nature. They were part of her heart and soul.

The First Time Percy Came Back

by Mary Oliver



The first time Percy came back

he was not sailing on a cloud.
He was loping along the sand as though
he had come a great way.
"Percy," I cried out, and reached to him—
those white curls—
but he was unreachable. As music
is present yet you can't touch it.
"Yes, it's all different," he said.
"You're going to be very surprised."
But I wasn't thinking of that. I only
wanted to hold him. "Listen," he said,
"I miss that too.
And now you'll be telling stories
of my coming back
and they won't be false, and they won't be true,
but they'll be real."
And then, as he used to, he said, "Let's go!"
And we walked down the beach together.



2 comments:

  1. I am certain I would bawl through the whole book. We are miserable without a dog...miserable. Sometimes I can feel Chance close at night...I hear him sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can only imagine your misery. Three days without a dog underfoot was unbearable and I was told that I shouldn't have gotten Charlie. I know why you don't have one now but also understand how painful it is not to have Chance right there. I still mourn Morris, how can we not, right?

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.