Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Jumping Rocks and other fine things



Good morning!

That is how the other members of the 6am CrossFit class greet me. The 5am class is finishing up and they all say Good Morning and actually mean it!

My husband doesn't quite get the allure of CrossFit. He calls it "Workout".

I started doing this in mid October. So what changes have I noticed?

I have something to look forward to each day and can have good social interaction and the workout relieves stress.

One of the measurable changes I've noticed is my blood pressure has changed dramatically.
I take it in the morning and the afternoon...not because I am ordered to, but because Rich is supposed to monitor his.
Earlier this summer my blood pressure readings were a bit on the high side. 
130ish/80ish.

On days I don't work out it hovers at 115ish to 120 over the 70's.
After working out? 106/68.

Hmmm. It makes one think about blood pressure and exercise. It is easy to take a pill and hope for the best...but...
I'm thinking this workout deal is much much better.
[Ok, off my soap box now!]

What else?
I used to struggle with peeling hay off a round bale and tossing it over the electric fence. I opted to shove it under the fence instead.
Over the weekend, I discovered I can easily toss fork-loads of hay with no effort.

Balance.
I used to be so surefooted. But the past year I found myself ...well, maybe not as surefooted as I used to be?
CrossFit works well with balance exercises. Most of the warm ups and many workouts promote balance.
While walking in the creek yesterday I came to a spot that I had to climb down a steep rocky bank to get to a place that I wanted to photograph.

Once I got down, I had a choice, get my feet soaked 1/2 mile from home, or jump to where I wanted to be. I used a skill learned from Box Jumping to launch to a rock clump in the middle of the creek.

And I stood there with the water flowing around me, grinning like an idiot. My balance was better!

See? Better!
Yes!
My creek jump...the banks are about 4 feet high...


And this is all worth it. Even after hiking to the end of the valley and back, I still felt energetic.

Anyway, the reason I jumped was for this shot:


And further towards home, I straddled some logs and got some very cool Ice Fingers...



I am happy that Gun Season for Deer is over. I can wander about again.

Tonight I am going to the LaCrosse Camera Club meeting and we are going to review 'night' shooting and tour the Rotary Lights by the river.

Color me happy.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing great, and I am very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:30 PM

    I love the picture of Charlie and the ice pictures. I am inspired by the changes you have noticed since starting Crossfit. I have spent too many hours sitting crocheting and it shows in how sore I am after the few sessions I've had at the gym. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh! Going to the gym? Awesome for you Mary! I am a bit tender off and on but am careful not to injure myself. But the strength and balance I have regained is wonderful.

      Delete
  3. I would have fallen in! Your photos are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.