Thursday, January 04, 2024

Walks

 It is finally getting cool enough for some winter gear. A hat that covers the ears and a scarf for protecting the chin and face while in the wind.

In the woods and valleys the winds rarely blow as the land is steep and heavily wooded. So even on a cold blustery day a walk in the woods can be rather pleasant.


Hobby has switched over 
to her mild winter gear!


Look!
Moss under the skiff of
snow!


However, my walks have to be planned and short so that I can be back before the other half wakes from his nap. He still needs help switching his oxygen over from the CPAP to the concentrator. Last night was the first time in over a week that he attempted it himself when getting ready for bed.

I keep close by which isn't hard as we are surrounded by a forest.

But I do need my fresh air daily no matter what the weather. 

I went without Charlie on New Year's Day for a really hard and fast hike on my neighbor's land. One I wouldn't normally take any friends on. It is rough, gnarly, and hilly. There are two valleys to negotiate through and a lot of brush with thorns. Did I mention the creek hopping? 



I went to the back valley and followed the stream that empties into Black Bottom. If you grew up in the area you call the stream Black Bottom. If you aren't local, you call it Readscreek.

This part of the valley is landlocked. There are no roads into it, no easy access except on foot which makes it really unique.
The stream develops from several large springs up the valley and used to be rather wide and fast. With all the years of drought, the stream has shrunk to a mere creek, but it is still wild and beautiful.

In the photos below, the stream used to be much wider, covering all of the flat land. After flash floods all the grasses are washed away and one can find cool rocks that are left behind as well as car, tractor parts, and tires.



Years ago this 'dragon' tree fell across the wide stream. Now just the head of the dragon is left with a little creek under it. Where the dragon head is ... was where the stream extended to.


The only place I found any tiny 'waterfalls' over rocks was towards the east end of the valley. Here, the water moved swiftly which it used to do all along this valley.



I turned and climbed the steep deer trail out of the bottom and headed up the old logging trail to the ridge. Half way up the trail there is a rock shelter that forms an ice cave each year from the seepage of water and the runoff of melt water.
This year has been so dry and so has the winter so the seepage is limited and with the warmer than normal temperatures, the ice is not forming rapidly.


Below is what it looks like in a good year. This isn't the best shot I have of it, but I generally hike to this spot throughout winter to watch the ice grow.



and another shot from 
a very good year !





Our walk on the 2nd was much shorter and nearer the house. I had Charlie along and he and I followed deer trails.


We were mostly going for the exercise and the fresh air. We wound up exploring a run off ditch that had some interesting tree formations and roots. These things never cease to amaze me.


When there is a large snow melt or a heavy rain, these dry runs become flooded with rushing water. It washes rocks, soil, and other debris down the narrow run creating a unique area to explore when it is dry.


Otherwise? 
Not much going on here.


What should I search for in January? Odd trees maybe? I need a project!





13 comments:

  1. There is much more going on than there is here! The tree roots are interesting. I don't know what you should search for, there is so much beauty around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, I am just walking and looking at anything that catches my eye. I think it is good for me as a distraction.

      Delete
  2. The roots are amazing - you see the treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I keep looking for treasures! Maybe that is it!

      Delete
  3. Your beautiful forest... I love these lonely forests. What luck, I also live near the forest. Many greetings to you. I wish you wonderful tours in 2024, a joyful year.
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Living near and surrounded by a forest is the best thing ever. I am very lucky.

      Delete
  4. Nature is ever changing, isn't it. I can remember New Years days at -30 C, and some above freezing.
    That last root photo looks like a braid- very cool!
    My suggestion for January is- things that aren't what they seem- or to put it another way, seeing things in ordinary objects or tricks of light that make them look like something other than what they are. (Like dragon trees!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really fantastic ideas. Yes, that root does look like it is braided. Now the funny thing is...it has been that way for nearly 20 years but I've never noticed it before! Odd!

      Delete
  5. Amazing shots, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Just mostly observations. I am struggling with a non snowy winter!

      Delete
  6. Nice walk! How about birds after trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds are on the list, but right now I feel the need to keep hiking and moving. January generally is one of my most active hiking months.
      I have better results with birds at the feeder so there is that! The migration will send me off bird hunting too!

      Delete
  7. You found so much beauty on your nature hike! I enjoy the comparisons.

    The sky is the limit and with your imagination, there is no limit!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.