Tuesday, January 16, 2024

It should have been

 ...a good day to stay inside and do...

Well. Read, nap, lounge, make chili ..or maybe even go through things and purge more crap out of drawers and the basement.

But by mid afternoon I was climbing the walls. I took Charlie out for a walk with me and he made it about 40 steps before his feet froze. I carried him back to the house and let him in. 

I thought I'd go finish breaking a trail up through the summer meadow and grab the trail camera down in the woods. With the subzero temps, I figured the batteries would be dead.

The wind chills were still in the - Below Zero Range, so I covered up. Since I live in a hilly and forested area, I can walk into the woods and avoid the winds. But covering my face and eyes is by far the most important thing for me to do.


I got down into the woods and retrieved the trail cam. Of course there was this shot of me walking during the snowstorm. 


And here is a shot of me coming to get the camera. In both of these photos I am using snowshoes. The more often I break trail, the better it is to walk on. During the storm, I was  up to my knees even with snowshoes on.


It was pleasant in the woods, but my feet did start to get cold since I'd neglected to put on my snow boots. 

The walk was beautiful. I'm not going to kid you. I did not march with great speed up and down the hills. It is very hard work with snow shoes and deep snow. I walked, I rested, I looked around and admired the scenery.



I do love shadows on the snow from the trees. Out in the meadow there were oak leaves sticking in the snow like this. I always find it amusing as to how they ended up that way.


I have to give a nod to Aurora  at equine expressions and her beautiful winter photos that are always inspiring! Where there are oaks and snow, there will be those oak leaves doing their cool winter things!


The sunshine is so welcome to see after what feels like months of dreary skies.

Even the mules enjoyed it.

The photos are soft because I took this shot through the window and screen.




Today's menu includes chicken veggie soup with rice. I have to go tomorrow to town and get some groceries as the cupboards are getting a bit thinned out.


Charlie and I finally got a nice long walk in this morning. I walked along our plowed road and out to the ridge and back. I figured Charlie would get cold feet, but he didn't. He trucked right along and chased as many smells as he could.

We noticed that the deer had been out in the soybean field digging up snow like crazy. I imagine the food is harder for them to get now that they have to contend with deep snow.


Stay warm and enjoy the sunlight if you have it!



10 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us along on your wintery snowshoe adventure! I took a day off from walking the woods yesterday. Last night I was walking circles (inside).

    Agreed, similar things in nature catch our eye/s :)) I want to stop and take a photo of every snowy everything, until my finger tips get cold from pulling off my glove cap. Winter is my favorite time of year to shoot. Everything stands out. The oak leaves and shadows are remarkable! I also wonder how leaves ect ended up in the exact spot when I notice them. Natures mystery.

    Love that action snowy photo with the oak leaf hanging on, despite Winters relentless wind!!

    Your mules are so sweet soaking up the warm sun <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The winds come across the neighbor's meadow from the north...yesterday this area was windless as the winds came from a different direction.

      I was amazed that oak leaf was hanging on like that!
      Walking circles inside is perfect when you can't get out!
      Stir crazy?

      Delete
  2. We do have sun. It's good you can get out for physical and mental stimulation. It's keeping you young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Now I need to go to town and brave the drifts that keep blowing half of our roads shut.

      Delete
  3. It's great to look at your wonderful winter photos knowing that I'll be able to go out and enjoy the beautiful snow tomorrow too.
    It's impressive how you have to wrap yourself up to protect yourself from the cold, I only know it from the high mountains. Here it is currently -1 to -6 degrees Celsius and I can start skiing directly from the terrace.
    Lots of fun for you in the winter forest... and with sun it's the crowning glory.
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:12 PM

    You are a trooper! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo of your snow shoe trail in the woods! You are finding some great winter scenes. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find winter beautiful when the snow is there!

      Delete
  6. I bet Charlie was glad to get out. Would he tolerate doggie moccasins? I have a friend who uses them on her border collie and he seems to like them.
    There is always something interesting to spot in nature- the oak leaf in the wind- and the one with the fierce shadow. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is happy to get out all of the time. He doesn't tolerate booties, but I've used a foot creme on his pads and that seems to help.

      He even does better if he can keep moving. I have to break a trail for him in deep snow, right now he prefers the plowed roads. :)

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.