Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Mobility and working out


 What can simple exercises do for you? 

My simple exercises at home don't need more than a chair, a wall, a floor, and sometimes even a couch. I can sit on the kitchen chair and do leg raises. If I want, it can be one leg at a time or both. I can use the chairs or go free standing to do squats. 

The hardest part of exercising is sticking to it. It sure is easier to just go for a nice long walk.

Right now I am doing chair sit ups, one legged balance exercises, and a variety of other exercises to keep up with my Mobility and balance. I'm having fun trying to do a work out at home. Other times I just say: Heck with it all and go for a hike.

I'm not at the gym this winter because of the weather and the colds, flu, and Covid that is traveling around our community. I can't bring home any illnesses to the other half. 

I could just hang out and nap most of winter away.

But I need feed for the critters. Those 75 lb. bags take some technique to heft up and into a feed barrel. Thankfully, I've been taught a great way to do it without harming myself [thank you coaches!]


Last Friday, I moved washing machine and dryer to clean under and around them. I also took apart the vent and gave it a good once over. Hubby asked if I needed help and I did ask him to hand me a few things after I'd climbed over the washer and was in behind the dryer.

I didn't want to pull everything totally out, but made enough room so I could get in behind the washer without disconnecting the water.
I took a milk crate and tied twine to it. I used the milk crate to get up and over the dryer. Then I pulled the crate over with the twine when I was done and used it to get back out. Clever me! Rich's comment?

"I married a monkey."

Maybe this is unusual for a person of my vintage and maybe not.


The month of January is almost over and I am trying to see what I have as far as hiking and walking for distance. Right now I am using the free app which adds everything up for me. I don't count steps, they are deceiving. Ok. Let me qualify that statement. Steps are great and necessary to help us keep track of moving which is essential to keeping our abilities to MOVE.

My steps include inclines of 150 to 300 feet. If I hike for a mile or less, it can be in very steep terrain, so each step could be much harder than a person walking on a sidewalk or on a flat easy surface. 

Does that make sense?

So far in January? What are the miles I've actually accounted for?

25 miles on the Map My Walk app -- and I didn't account for walking to the mailbox through the woods or the times I went out and checked fences. I'll see what January 31st brings.

I'm hoping to actually GET off the farm this weekend and go to Duck Egg or perhaps KVR and tromp around for some different scenery.

The Fog is still here. I'm beginning to think that Stephen King made up this weather for this week.


How is it going with you?




13 comments:

  1. I exercise at home when I can't get out to walk, a lot of it stair exercises of various kinds. It's important to do different moves than walking. Do you ever walk backwards? That's supposed to be valuable to balance the forward walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes we do. During the times I'm at the gym mostly in the warm months, we have different warm ups. Sometimes I skip instead of trot and sometimes I walk backwards just to have fun. I do that a lot while walking on the back roads too so I can see what I walked past from a different angle.

      Delete
  2. I do chair yoga, counter pushups and a lot of back stretching exercises. My balance was shot to pieces from a brain injury, so balance exercises consist of holding onto something or I will just topple over. It makes getting old a bit more difficult. There are many advantages to being a monkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart! We often use something in the gym to hold on to for some of the difficult balance exercises.
      I admire the effort you do! Keep it up!

      Delete
  3. You do an admirable amount of activity!! I think rural living with animals help keep the average person mobile. There is so much to do.

    Many folks do not realize formal workout equipment is not needed. Soup cans, hard cover books, towels, rope/belts for resistance and stretching, stairs for etc etc. Back in the day, I used to bring paper plates to my toning classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After shoulder surgeries and elbow surgery I started out with tuna fish cans as weights.
      It is true, most good exercises do not require a fancy gym.

      Delete
  4. The snow is gone here, but - oh wonder - there was a lot of sunshine, so I was outside a lot.
    I think it's great how you do your exercises at home. This requires a lot more enthusiasm than if you train in the gym. Bravo for you.
    I often do exercises in the forest :-) I enjoy it a lot.
    Kind regards to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now it is very hard to stay motivated while working out at home. Thankfully the one I do one on one coaching with once a week at the gym does send me stuff to stay motivated.

      Delete
  5. I think you are very wise to stick close to home. Not only is Covid on the uptick again, but in my community we have had a lot of hospitalizations due to the flu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our hospital ER has been crazy busy with respiratory illnesses and even influenza....from kids to adults. I'll be back to the gym for more fun when they open the gym doors for the season.
      Open air is much nicer than working out in a small gym with everyone breathing the same air.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous6:58 PM

    I love Rich's comment! Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that was not the first time he said that!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:52 PM

    LD.....I put on my doctor's forms that I walk stairs and work hard. I find a lot of things I do take a lot of energy. Your cleaning behind washer dryer counts for a lot of points. I do have to start mowing the lawn again to loose a few pounds.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.