Saturday, January 27, 2024

Fogged!


This was my driveway looking up towards the ridge and mailbox and back towards the house in the dense fog on Wednesday.


I think of this tree as the Little  Haiku Tree. It is invisible in the summer when hidden by greenery.


These Grey Dogwood seed pods were ice covered on Wednesday.


Foggy Forest scene.


I'm just loving this mix of weather. I know it looks dreary and awful but I like it when the weather is odd and strange.

I wonder if I lived in a city or a suburb, if I could find enchantment with fog and ice. 

Thursday was fog and rain. I went out in the morning to grab the mail and then later down into the creek bottom. The creek was still covered in knee deep snow except in places where it trickled over the rocks.

I found a large north facing rock outcrop that had frost on the rock face along with moss. This was thanks to Charlie who took a detour and led me past this spot.


The rain started coming down pretty hard while I was in the creek. I'm thankful to have an Olympus weather sealed camera and lens.

The snow had fallen off a log the crosses the creek and I was able to grab some rain drop shots of the moss holding droplets.




The rain got pretty intense so I headed back up the hill towards home.
I met the mules in the another section I'd let them into. They were digging through the snow and eating some of the long grasses that they left this summer.

After their hay and grain, they wander off to find 'goodies' in the forest. This is the first year I've let them do this and I am finding that they will eat the leaves off from weeds and multi flora rose plants that they won't touch in the warmer months.

They are half donkey and donkeys are browsers. So this seems to be a pretty good thing for them.


I had a lot of outer wear to hang up in the basement to dry when I got home.


We may see the sun shine again by Sunday afternoon. Hang in there, decent weather will come again.
However I am grateful that it isn't 99 degrees and smokey. 
So there is that.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:15 AM

    Love your moody fog photos!!! I think fog is also interesting in the city. Hardscape is fun to shoot for a change. ex. Bridges & fences that “disappear”. Of course nature reigns supreme for more than photography, at least in my (our) worlds. Aurora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see shooting along the Great Lakes and parks with disappearing benches...oh wait...I did that years ago while visiting my son! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Yes, there is that! We are also foggy but not quite this foggy. Good boy Charlie for leading you to an interesting photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to look out at the fog - it's like a painting of the landscape. I am not a fan of driving in fog! Our schools delayed 3 times this week because of fog. Some parents were upset (I was not thrilled either since I have to entertain bus riders for two hours) but I understand the school and bus driver's concern for safety. I just had a few words with Mother Nature. I think a lot of our older bus drivers who were driving after retirement left after Covid and most are now younger and less experienced. I subscribe to safe, not sorry when it comes to transporting kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job in finding beauty we are surrounded by it but often don't see it.
    Good tour guiding, Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little tree is so cute! The fog is much better than smoke. Loved your foggy photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:13 PM

    You find beauty everywhere! Lori

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.