Saturday, August 08, 2020

Kickapoo Redo

 Last February I took a friend of mine on a hike. 

At one of those turns which are deep in the woods, I took a right instead of a left at junction.

Luckily after that journey, Bill decided to continue hiking with me. So we went back to explore the trail that I meant to take him on.

Instead of the above...we, had the below...




The signs can be confusing especially if you are not paying strict attention. Bill checked his map and I checked mine even though I was pretty sure as to how we should go to accomplish this "lollipop" trail.

Our fearless leader took a break with us and had some water. Charlie drinks water out of a peanut butter lid. If I forget one, he'll drink from the bottle itself.

The hike looks pretty docile and it isn't extremely hard. However, it is a bit over 5 miles to do what we did. The MapMyWalk app said we had an elevation gain of 503 ft. I think that is cumulative over the whole hike.

To say the least, the trail looks flat but isn't. It winds its way along a ridge and dips down to the river and back up with the trail skirting 'ice caves' and unique land formations.

So the terrain we covered looks like the following.

It isn't flat but it has a wonderful green canopy in the summer. In the winter it has some amazing views of the river and of the ice caves that are in those steep folds of land.

And this time!

No one took a wrong turn!

It was a great hike. Charlie even thought so.



2 comments:

  1. On a hot day the snowy trail looked good! Glad you had a good hike. I used to have a water bottle with a squirt top that Chance loved...I also still have a collapsible cup in the car:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a collapsible bowl but it doesn't work well for Charlie! It worked perfectly for Morris and poorly for Dixie! So many different sized animals. How fun that Chance loved the squirt bottle. I had more than one dog who would drink out of my bottle if I forgot their bowls.
    The weather wasn't bad at all under all that forest canopy.
    It was a very peaceful walk and better to do it with another human.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.