Thursday, August 06, 2020

August 5th

I woke up and could not get back to sleep. I had gone to bed with an idea crawling around in my brain.

AND it did not involve the news or Facebook .. or any Social Media.

Get up and figure out if I can get to the ponds before sunrise.

The Ponds are 23 minutes by car. Hmmm and a 30 minute walk.

On a whim I decided to head out. Ahhh, but 49 degrees? It made for some heavy fog along the river.


My drive was slower due to the valley fog. I wasn't concerned and decided I'd just keep on going and enjoy the time driving.

As a last moment's decision, I decided to drive up to the KVR Dam site and park.


The fog was hovering right over the river which is probably 50 feet below where I was standing.

I left and took a back road.

 
It was a good call. That white foggy spot is the river. 
This route was one I considered for our bicycle adventures.

I took a leisurely drive and dropped down into the valley....


It was pleasant. Buckeye Ridge Road. It was almost wide enough for two vehicles.

~~~ It's sort of funny how things go.
When I got home it was not long after the sun actually came up. I fed the mules took out Sven and Little Richard and put them in their places for the day.
I picked tomatoes and sweet corn.
All before 8AM.
I made coffee....

I checked my email and had my WOD from the coach. Uffdah. More weight lifting! 

Some days I just don't think I am going to have any energy. And then there are those other days that it is boundless.

I got Rich situated and just before lunch, Charlie and I left for an adventure.

I thought I'd try our State Park called Wildcat Mountain.


It had been a while since I'd hiked the Old Settler's Trail and I thought it would be a good one to take Charlie on. The temperatures were cooler and he had been nagging me for a LONG walk.

We actually had a very good time. However.
How...ever.

I am awfully spoiled by the reserve and other local places that are not as well known as this state park.
Dogs, kids, people.
Campers galore.
Of course! Camping may be the one safe way to avoid an infected motel room and to socially distance. It does make sense.
But the park felt crowded.

Charlie and I struck out anyway. We headed down a steep trail and met a grandmother and a grandchild with their dog 'Charlie'. We exchanged pleasantries. Grandma and child wore a mask. I flipped mine on when I saw them walking up towards me.

I passed them and took an unmarked trail. I call these trails the sneaky doodle trails.
They exist but aren't maintained. 



But sometimes they have little surprises. 

Charlie and I followed this unused trail and I could tell by the voices echoing through the woods that we were just below the proper trail.

There was a pink ribbon and an orange ribbon tied in a few different spots. This park allows bow hunting in the fall. I was on a hunter trail. 

I loved it. Charlie and I had the privacy we so craved in these Covid Times.


I just love the rocks. Rocks.
Rocks.
It appears as though a giant just tossed these here.

We joined up with the main trail and had it to ourselves. Most of the campers weren't going to hike this trail. It is a challenge. The notes on the brochure do caution that even though the loop is only 2.5 miles it has some steep inclines.
I live in this area, so I am used to the hills and steep trails.


Charlie took this incline like a trooper, pulling at his leash. 

So not all the trails are steep nor demanding.
Here are some shots.






It is a bit different looking since my first adventure along this trail in 2015.
The trail was less used and less popular. The link will take you to my very first hike along this trail which was just after sunrise....

The bridges had to be rebuilt after the 2016 and 2018 flash floods. 

The rest of my day is boring. However, I did figure out the quickest way to The Ponds!

It is do-able!

And the sweet corn is blanched and frozen.
The tomatoes are eaten.

And I was tired!




2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:31 AM

    Beautiful, so peaceful! The rocks remind me of the trails in Jay Cooke State park along the St. Louis River, no silence there though with the ever present rushing waters. Thank you for sharing your beautiful hike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that rock is impressive, good that Charlie got to go along! Stay safe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.