Monday, November 11, 2019

Ice Fingers!


I had some time Friday afternoon to do some wandering around at the creek. With the fresh snow I was able to see where the deer had been making trails. I found one that looked 'as busy' as when the mules made a trail.

I see that the recent wet heavy snowfall had caused oak leaves to drop like crazy. I guess it was just startling to see them littering the fresh snow fall like some child had gotten hold of a pile of leaves and tossed them all just so perfectly!


I do enjoy how Mother Nature redecorates on a whim with her weather.

I wanted to see the change since the snowfall from two days earlier. The temperatures had dipped into the teens and down to the single digits overnight.
I knew that the water splashing in the creek would create 'ice fingers' on the blades of grasses and any weeds hanging over the creek.

...and I was right. A parsnip plant was bent over the water and the water and temperatures had made it into a pretty ice sculpture.


The tiny falls that is between our land and one of the neighbors had a thick little ice formation.


Everywhere I looked, there was ice!




I didn't have time to explore further down the valley, so I just stopped and watched the small trout flit back and forth along this place.


It is hard to explain how calming this little creek is. I am so lucky to have it within a five minute walk from the house.

While Rich is resting or watching TV, I can grab a little 'me' time and catch some very fresh air at the same time.

The temperatures have dipped again today and will be 6 degrees tonight. Oh happy Ice Fingers!

~~~~~~
I'm opting for a hike in the Kickapoo Valley Reserve if I can swing it too this week.
I need to stop in at the Visitor's Center and see the photo contest display.

Two of my photos have made it to the Finals and they are announcing the winner on the 7th of December. That is my little planned get away visit so I won't be able to be present.

Below are the two photos that made it to the finals.
If chosen, they will be used on the KVR's web page or brochures for promotion.

I'm okay with that. I really like the the Reserve.



2 comments:

  1. Both of your photos are excellent but I love that mushroom! Fun for you!! I think you have more snow than we do! Congrats! Thanks to Rich for his service this Veteran's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that yellow mushroom is an eye catcher too. In the steep valleys we still have quite a bit of snow, but on the ridges it is mostly gone. That is, until Wednesday!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.