Saturday, November 16, 2019

This old barn...and....


This is the original file as it appeared 'in camera' and the down load. The sepia color was a touch darker, but nothing else was changed.

I do love this place and next time I go by it, I need to have a long lens with the 720nm filter on it.

It is a farm that has been around for about 100 years, that is what the last owner had told me. The only access to this place was by an old rickety bridge. I wish I'd had the forethought to have photographed it years ago.

The bridge had survived all of the floods since it was built but those floods of 2008, 2009, 2012, and 2015 gave the owner pause I guess and she moved out to somewhere else. Last year, the 2018 flood took the bridge and as we like to say "disappeared" it. The LP tank to the house was found 1/2 mile away. However the barn never suffered damage other than what Mother Nature has done to it.

The place sits empty now. I don't see any animals grazing on the land and I suspect that any fencing that did exist has been washed away.
Last year huge wrapped round bales landed with the flood waters all along the river and into the Readstown Park, looking like monstrous marshmallows that had been dropped by a giant. [Wow, what a fun opportunity that would have been to photograph also!]

Anyway I digress.
I've taken a lot of photos of this barn and farm over the years and decided to try it in Infrared.


The blues that appear after a channel swap were really neat. The branches, trees, and grass around it had a very dull yellowish color to it which I didn't like.

I felt this needed a vintage treatment.


I like it so much better this way. I could have added some old film scratches but decided to leave well enough alone.

I need the zoom lens next time or a better angle to capture the old farm house and the barn in the same frame.

I feel sort of awkward pulling over and parking then walking along the side of the road with the camera. Perhaps I shouldn't feel that way. But I imagine someone driving by and wondering what that Crazy Person is doing!

Awkward. I'm facing my next challenge in photography Saturday morning. I was invited by a CrossFit friend to come and take photos of her family. I told her that I wasn't very experienced in 'people' shots and didn't have a studio or fancy lights.
The worst that can happen is that she doesn't use anything I take. So I put on my big girl panties and decided to try it.
Yes, I have done a few weddings, but I'm a basic person and like candid shots best.

We shall see how this goes!

2 comments:

  1. I like the last shot the best! I hope you had good light for your family photos...I get nervous too but usually only do photos for relatives and the price is right! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light was perfect, the sun was slightly covered by clouds which made it fantastic. And we all had fun.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.