Sunday, November 12, 2017

The Colorless Season is Here


It is hard to get a 'landscape' photo in the woods. There is too much clutter in the summer with all of the undergrowth. I do love this time of the year when the woods seem barren and bleak. I can see the shape of the land in the fall and winter.

I am now doing daily hikes or daily walks. I either go into the woods and explore or Morris and I walk along the gravel road if it is not too cold for him.

Yesterday was cold but not quite as cold as the day before when the median air temperatures were 12 degrees. However I went to the creek hoping to find a couple of places where the grass hangs over the water's edge. The splashing water from the creek freezes into beautiful odd shapes.


For lack of a better name, I call them Ice Fingers. They are small but beautiful.

I found 2 well developed bunches on my walk yesterday, this one and another.


View from further away and in color.


I wanted to go further into the valley but decided not to. I needed to get back and make sure the stock tank was filled. Rich seems to forget to tend to these things since the stroke.
Most of the hike back is uphill which gives me a great work out. Last year I'd have to stop part of the way up the hill for a breather. Yesterday I found myself full of energy.

I'm guessing the fact that I don't work odd hours anymore and get regular sleep has helped tremendously. That along with meals that are better thought out have improved how I feel. The hiking/walking is paying off!

I always love the creek at any time of the year. It is constantly changing and never the same.

There is always a spot to stop and look at interesting reflections. If I stop and stand or sit quietly, there is a chance I can spot a trout.


And there is always places where I can find mini water falls.
These too change each year.
This one is my new favorite created by the flash flooding last year.


I always leave the creek with a bit of remorse. I could literally spend hours there just looking for neat rocks and enjoying the noise of the water over the them.
It is like a siren song to me.
There is nothing more beautiful.

Alas. Home duties call and I have to bid ado to the creek until next time.

It may seem like there is no color in most of the woods, but there is plenty if you look for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.