Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Disturbing Trend in Nature Photography and Social Media.

Have a camera? Have a cell phone? Now you can take selfies in all of those iconic and wonderful places you see in brochures or find photos of tagged on the internet.
Arches National Monument? Oh why not join 40 or 50 other people at sunset to take photos at the Arches? While there, you may as well climb and walk on the arch and take selfies.

I heard from a professional photographer about his frustration and going to certain locations around the states as to how he is now dealing with crowds. I belong to a Facebook group that is for Wisconsin Photographers. The posts are rather interesting.
Someone takes an incredible photo of landscape and instantly there are questions. "Where is that location?" I see the same place photographed over and over. It may be a lighthouse along the shores of Lake Michigan, the Apostle Islands shore, or rock along the Wisconsin River.

A few years ago Social Media posted a little known State Natural Area outside of Baraboo called Pewitt's Nest. Suddenly it became an internet sensation.
I explored the area in the winter four years ago and it was worth the trip.

Last spring I revisited the area and was aghast. So many people had visited it that most of the undergrowth was killed from foot traffic. People didn't stay on the trails as the signs requested. The site was shut down so that the DNR could build trails and lookouts. However people are still sneaking in to take photos. One person posted that he was fined...but HE got the shot! Others applauded him on the FB site.

Me? I was disturbed by this new photographers' mentality. It is okay to trespass to get that shot!



I shared these photos and received questions. "Where was this taken?" A private message went something like this: "Ms. Ewing, can we get together and you take me around your county to show me some of the great places to photograph? I can pay you to tour with you."

I answered as diplomatically as possible to the 'Where was this taken?' Vernon County.
As to the private message, I viewed it and didn't respond.

I feel pretty protective of the public places I do visit and take photos of. I recommend people to explore the Vernon County Parks and State Parks in our area. But will I tell the exact location of my most favorite morning spot to the Internet World? Nope. Not after what I saw at Pewitt's Nest.

Mornings are for thoughtful solitude. Not for fighting for a view of the sky.

Photo courtesy of Amanda Clausen

However sharing those special moments with close friends is exceptional. To see the wonder in their eyes as the morning or....night sky unfolds is an experience.
Maybe that is why these things are shared on Social Media.

Look what I saw!

To what end though?

I guess this is something I feel so strongly about.



1 comment:

  1. I had never thought about this before. The planet needs more protectors.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.