Saturday, November 14, 2009

Musing over a fellow Blogger's Posted Question


"Do you have any thoughts on fate vs. function and purpose?" from Mancos Mule MJ


Well last night was a midnight to 8am shift for me at the Power Plant. [For those who have recently begun to follow me~I am a Security Guard at a Decommissioned Nuclear Power Plant that is now also a Coal Fired Plant]

My hours are sometimes very odd. As unpleasant as that can sometimes be, it also has some perks.
Last night I was able to sit in my 'Alarm' station and talk with another part time guard during the wee hours of the morning.

We try to have meaningful discussions to keep us awake of course.
I posed this question to him, along with another from MJ's site:

"How much do you leave up to fate in regards to what your future holds for you? On the other hand, how much do you, or should you, influence your goals and take the proverbial “bull by the horns” to make that journey into your future happen?"

Our conversation took up a good part of the morning hours, each of us putting in our thoughts.
We did come up in agreement on one point although some of our views were different.

We agreed that as long as we had a roof over our heads, adequate food, and time to pursue those things that made us happy, we would be happy.

I'd influence my long term and short term goals to achieve the ability to pursue photography, exploring life with my mules and pets...and work on maintaining my health.

[Interestingly enough, neither one of us addressed what our goals were for 'our golden years'. Oversight or avoidance?]

I know lofty ideas. But lofty ideas come at the wee hours of the morning don't they?

Fate landed me my job as a Security Guard, it was my own decision and personal effort to pursue it to a slightly higher level.
Over the years I've had many jobs and worn many hats, by fate and opportunity.
My goals however, have fairly much remained the same.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that my post topic gave you food for discussion and incentives to stay awake during your long night shift. Your statement:
    [Interestingly enough, neither one of us addressed what our goals were for 'our golden years'. Oversight or avoidance?]

    I'm about 10 years your senior, and up until just a year ago, I don't think I gave it much thought either. Health and age really do play a good part in how and what I've consider lifetime goals (at least for me at this point in my life).

    There are still many day-to-day things that really take priority and are crucial for my happiness, but I think padding the way to my golden years (should I be so lucky to reach them) keeps edging its way into my thoughts and actions.

    Anyway, thanks for your comments and thoughts. I'm happy that you took the time and interest to think about it and respond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the golden years. I am still working, but I have decided that will end in May 1010. I am a RN and may still pick up something again.
    I am going to join the Morman trail re-enactment ride across Kansas into Wyoming in June 1010. I became a widow this year. That was a life changing event. I am now going to do everything I always wanted to do, but put it off etc.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.