I checked the weather when I got up and stepped outside in the predawn. It was cool, but humid. A low fog drifted across the south pasture where Siera and Sundance were snoozing in the sandy area.
I checked my to do list for Sunday and decided to take my canine hiking as soon as chores and breakfast was done.
We'd beat the midday heat and have the trails to ourselves if we went early.
It was August 30th. A year exactly to the date when Nurse Tim told me that Rich was going on the Actively Dying List.
We headed out and when we got to the trail head at the Visitor's Center, we were the only vehicle. I parked, attached the lines to the dogs [they don't need to be leashed but I keep lines on them in case I need to grab them].
We were going Fungi Hunting.
The recent rain and humidity was prime for mushrooms to start popping along the bluffs of the river.
Even though we'd had a dry week, the nights and mornings had been wet with heavy dew and fog.
A perfect climate for mushroom hunting.
We were not disappointed. We found huge mushrooms!
We found such an amazing variety of mushrooms that I was just blown away.
I also found a flowering plant that I'd never seen before:
Great Plains Ladies' Tresses aka the scientific name:
I included a link because I felt they were so special and I've never run across them before. It is MN wildflower link. I'm going to add it to my 'discovered' wildflowers!
I headed down the Wintergreen Trail because in years' past, I've found a single Indigo Ink Cap mushroom. Back then, someone had kicked it over instead of walking around it.
Each August-September I retrace my steps to look for this beautiful mushroom.
This year I hit the motherlode.
So, just to let you know why my dogs wear beeper collars. I get so engrossed in looking at the little things that I ignore the puppers. They stay close, but I can push a button and call them in close.
Dogs here can be off leash. But I don't want to lose them in the 8,900 acres of forest that surrounds the Reserve.
I did some Toy Photography [of course!]
We'd gone so early that no one else would be around on this particular trail.
First shot with Hannah in the background.
...and then we hit the area where a little bit of water flows from the ice caves in the winter and some little dog had a total brain explosion of happiness with muddy zoomies... 6 seconds of unbridled puppy joy.
This is the ice caves in the winter. I can't wait to take Hannah here this winter!
I'm that weird person who gets excited by the unusual slime mold, plants, or mushrooms. I stop, I look, and I explore.
My cohorts and I spent time sitting quietly at the end of the Wintergreen Trail. They had treats, I had a protein bar.
Eventually we headed back. We could hear the traffic increase on Highway 131. The motorcycles were headed to LaFarge for the Chicken Q dinners at Rockton Bar.
It was time to evacuate the area and return home.
More fungi will come in the next posts. But I might be out exploring in the mornings this week. It is supposed to be unseasonably hot and humid. Perfect for fungi/mushroom hunting.
The dogs were silent on the way home and took long afternoon naps. I think they are ready for bed too.
It was a good Sunday morning.











Since the weather generally moves from there to here, I checked the weather, but I don't see a major heat wave in the forecast. School is about to begin, and I know from sweaty experience that the first few days of school can been how. But not this year, I guess.
ReplyDeleteWe have temps in the 80's F, but the humidity and heat index is moving it up to the mid 90's for a few days here. 🥵
Delete