Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Tent life [part II]

I've always wanted to stay out in the forest overnight. 

My parents did car camping when I was a kid. 

I recall sleeping in the front seat [the steering wheel was never in the way]. I think my sister may have slept with mom and dad in the back of the station wagon but I don't recall. Maybe I was in the back seat and parents and sister were in the back.

My brother slept on the roof I think. I believe it may have been our only camp out, but I can't be sure. I'm not even quite sure of the year we did it. 

However, I woke up thinking that this was the coolest thing ever.

Here is a shot that my dad took. I think we were at Arches National Park. [It was NOT crowded]

I don't recall if we parked and slept there or near there. All I know was the experience was amazing and I fell in love with rocks.

For reference, the station wagon was a 1965 Dodge. Mom is at the picnic table, my brother is running next to the car and I think my sister is sitting on a rock above the car in the bottom left partially hidden by a tree.


I think that this was my first camping experience and I fell in love with it 61 years ago. 

Rich and I would camp/sleep in the back of his truck and later in a gooseneck horse trailer [not fancy]. But the thrill of it has always stuck with me.

This year was my first time at camping with a tent.

[Last night, I took out the camp cot, it was too uncomfortable.]

Here is what it looks like with a 'dog pile' on a nice cushy camp mattress [3 inches thick!] and piles of blankets.

The dogs love it. I do too, they can sleep on the thin mat next to me or scoot in to keep warm.

I read until I was sleepy, then last night out we hit the sack.


The part that feels so free to me is the fact that I never checked what the time was. It was dark and the moon had not yet arrived.

Monday night we didn't have a fire because the smoke would have blown right into the tent. 

We heard much of the same serenades as we fell asleep. I woke up with a start as Hannah growled. 
I listened.
And then I laughed. There was a turkey not far off trying to roost in a tree and making clucking noises. A bit later I was awakened when I heard a mule softly snort not far off.

I thought, oh how nice, the mules are here.
Then I became fully awake. The mules couldn't get back by us!

The moon was out casting silver light. I peeked out the window and there was the shape of a deer standing not far off. I guess it didn't expect us to be there.
I got back to sleep rather quickly and the dogs crept under the blankets with me.

The dogs love pre-dawn. Hannah is the first to get up and annoy Charlie into getting up. In turn, they both annoy me to get up.

I open the tent flap and out they go for their morning duties. Both dogs leave the camp area to do their business. I like that.

In the predawn dark, we walked back home. I feed them and make coffee for me then head back out. I can have some quiet time with a thermos of coffee and watch for deer.


And....




 I'm successful. These two does come out every morning like clockwork when the sun just peeks over the neighbor's trees to the east.


I have my coffee and sit watching the meadows. One would think that this is the time of day where I think deep and poetic thoughts. The world dissolves into just breathing and being.


My mind is quiet.


I watch the day come alive and that is good enough for me. 
I watch. 
I see the fog, the morning light, and listen to the sounds.




I still pinch myself wondering exactly how lucky I am to witness this in the mornings.


When the coffee is gone, I walk back home and start my day.

And...

I know I can't wait to do this again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.