Friday, August 21, 2026

Places we go

And...
Tales on Trails


Bluffs and Hemlock Pines






Secret springs
fresh cool waters


Incredible landscapes



Coral Fungi




 Strap shaped coral fungi. 

I find them each year on these pine bluffs.






Spiney Puffball




The trail we were on is no longer found on any map. I rode it with my husband years ago.

When the Kickapoo Valley Reserve was created this trail became a hiking trail only mostly because of the unique landscape and micro climate that the bluffs and river create.

Five years ago the KVR management took that trail off their map. I understand why they did it. It is a difficult trail. A winter storm took down quite a few trees in one section which blocked off a section of the trail. 

Any work to clear the section would require nearly a mile of hiking with a chainsaw one way and would require a crew to do the work. The trail has a rather deep and wide water crossing at one point too. I assume that maintenance would be rather difficult.

The bluffs and the river create a unique micro climate that isn't found in any other parts of the Midwest.

Each August and September I explore this area. The trailhead is overgrown and no longer visible from the road. But IF you know where it is and push through the brush, you can find it. There are a lot of deadfalls and little detours along with some 'bush whacking'. The effort is well worth it.

I usually find so many different varieties of mushrooms and odd ones I rarely see anywhere else.



Boletes



Charlie hanging out at the beach ... 

The view of the unique river and its bluffs...


The dogs had a blast exploring and using their sniffers. 

They spent the rest of the day snoozing and maybe dreaming of all the cool scents they discovered.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.