Monday, October 14, 2024

There and back again...

How do you top a night with a once in a lifetime Aurora Borealis show? 

Go on a mini trip.

So with a little bit of sleep under my belt, I drove to Kenosha to visit my eldest son, wife, and of course Aurora...Rory!
They told me that we were going to go hiking on Saturday and use the drive to the Kettle Moraine State Park as Rory's nap time. 

First I had to get through a night at the hotel. I awoke very early since I dropped into bed very early. But I've always wanted to see the Harbor area along the Kenosha Lakefront early in the morning. I know I posted a quick cell shot on the last blog. 

But here was my efforts with a long exposure in blustery winds.

I've never done cityscapes before but thought it would be fun to get a shot of the Kenosha water plant and part of the harbor behind the hotel.


My intention was to walk along the Art Promenade and take shot from the end of it. But I didn't. The sun was changing the sky quickly and I was afraid that I'd miss the sky shot I wanted by walking to the end. I settled for a slightly different angle.

Next time I'll take the boardwalk to the light house that's in the distance also. So many opportunities! So little time!


Here is where I biffed the shot. I started a 13 second exposure and by accident moved the camera. The cause was a huge windgust. Why not? It ended up being a wildly crazy exposure.


On the way to Kettle Moraine, I got to sit in the back seat with Rory who played peek a boo with me in her car seat. She didn't do the normal peek a boo, but hid her eyes by turning her head and then popping back to look at me an laugh.

And it filled me up with so many wonderful feelings.




With the hike over, we headed back home. I should have napped with Rory in the back seat. I didn't.

I actually slept 'in' on Sunday morning until 5! I made some hotel coffee and packed up. I wanted to go to a more open spot on the lakefront. I went to Pennoyer Park and was surprised to see quite a few fisher people. The salmon run was on and the fisher folks were at the headwaters of the Pike River where the salmon were coming in.


Just as things were brightening up a father and young boy walked past me in the predawn and I could not resist the shot...


My weather app said that the lakefront had high waves and gale force winds predicted for the late afternoon. I regretted having to leave the lake. The wild winds and waves from Lake Michigan are something to see and appreciate.

I was cold, so I wrapped up with another shot or two and headed over to see the 'kids'.



Did I say how much I loved the Lakefront? Yes, I do!

We headed over to Petrified Spring Park, fondly known locally as Pets and took a nice long walk/hike.


The trees were absolutely at high color and gorgeous. River was was up from the storm we had on Saturday night but the skies were blue and it was a picture perfect day with many people out walking and others taking photographs.


There were salmon fisherfolk in the river and others watching on some of the bridges. The atmosphere of the park felt very festive.



We said our goodbyes in the parking lot and I headed west. I was happy to be heading home and sad to be heading home.

I'll miss these guys...


What a great mini trip this was. 





9 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:17 AM

    So glad you got to visit your son and family and had a wonderful time. RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had so much fun! Still trying to catch up on sleep!

      Delete
  2. The Fall color on the bridge shot is awesome! You had a great time I hope you can go back again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was stunned with the beauty of the park. I used to live in the area 30 years ago and don't recall the colors being so amazing...but memories are just that.
      It is such a pretty place.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy you got a mini vacation with family you enjoy. It looks like the weather was being friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, except for the hail and thunderstorms that rolled through around supper time.

      Delete
  4. Phamily and fotos. Now that's a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! What could be any better?

      Delete
  5. What a lovely adventure. I hope you get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.