Friday, October 04, 2024

Afternoon off

There it was. An afternoon without phone calls or appointments.

I scooped Charlie up and we headed out the door for some free time. 



I took my little pocket camera. It is an Olympus Tough camera which is 'weather proof' and waterproof. 

We started at the south end of Hay Valley and worked north. The trails are not groomed trails but mostly a one track trail. That means that horses, mules, and people have to give way to each other when we meet.

I met two sets of horseback riders. I could hear first riders as they were talking while coming my way. I scooped up Charlie and stuck him under my arm and called out "Hiker with a dog!".  I kept talking to them until they and their horses could see me.

This is called Trail Etiquette, especially in a dense forest. I don't think some hikers understand that even though it just makes sense. The riders were seasoned people and locals. We chatted a bit. They really appreciated my call out. I used to ride these trails and we rarely ran across hikers which is still fairly true. 

The trail section I was on is 8 miles of hard hiking from one end to the other. However, to make a loop I needed to take a secondary trail out to the highway and go back to where I parked.


The following shots are those I took along the trail. Just shots I took along the way to remind me of what this trail looks like as it changes colors. I've hiked this in the spring and once in mid summer. I recommend fall or spring.

I want to do it in the winter also so I can appreciate the bluffs and 'caves' I was able to see.










Near the Bailout Trail and Washout Trail turnoffs from Hay Valley I came upon two women who were sitting on their horses with a map discussing which way they wanted to go.

The signs at this juncture are pretty confusing. IF you are not familiar with which direction the trails actually take, you could very well take the wrong turn.
This was the second time in a year that I've helped horse riders figure out where they need to go. 

There is an advantage to having navigated each and every one of the trails. Having a compass and a map are essential things to have.
I told them to take the south trail.

"You mean turn left, right?" 

In the deep woods you cannot always tell which direction you are headed. "Correct, turn left." 

When we made it back to the 'Ru, I met an fella who was loading up some nice kayaks. I noted the kayaks, he noted Charlie and asked to pet him. The gent was in his 70's and was doin the Dam Challenge Race on Saturday. He was doing the kayak/canoe portion of the race.

I learned so much more about kayaking in such a short time. I also learned that the trail along the Pine River in Richland Center was more scenic than where we were at. 

What a vibrant 75 yr old. He hikes every Sunday with others, kayaks, and is an adventurer. Ever meet someone and immediately like that person?

What a wonderful afternoon. I not only got some great hiking in. I got to meet some really nice folks.

Charlie? He slept all the way home and cuddled up in the evening.




4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:22 AM

    No grass grows under your feet! Sounds like you are back to your old self! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice outing, the leaves are getting prettier everyday! Hi to Charlie:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful adventure for you and Charlie. Awesome photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun & well-deserved break!! Gorgeous weather for it too.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.