Thursday, October 26, 2023

An Office Visit

I had another visit with the Endocrinologist. Actually, it was a good visit as far as doctor office visits go. I am beginning to think that health providers in my part of WI are exceptional in attitude and demeanor.

The nurse 'Jackie' put me at ease when she took my weight and brought up my chart. When she took my blood pressure ---> it was low normal. This is NOT what generally happens in any office visit. She commented that White Coat Syndrome exists but at the same time doctors sort of poo-poo it. 

Dr. Bone Doctor insisted I call her Emily. See? She wasn't so high and mighty and full of bluster at all. She and I talked about my tests which well, were much the same as they were 2 years ago. I know I've said I wouldn't try anything after reading all about these medication side effects. One of the subjects of discussion was in particular my lumbar spinal column. 

Decisions, decisions. However, I am going to give medications one more chance. One of the biggest challenges to taking medications is Fear of potential side effects. Hey, I am one of those for sure. You can read about horrid side effects and even know those who suffered from it. But...IF I can improve the loss of bone around my spinal cord with meds? I am willing to try.

Other reasons for not taking or resisting meds: 
Cost
[Yikes, this could be a whole article in itself]

Misunderstanding
[I understand how it works and what it is supposed to do]

Too many meds
[not me, this would be the only med I take compared to the 14 ones that hubby takes]

Lack of symptoms 
[I have absolutely NO symptoms. I do have back pain, but other than that? Nothing]

Mistrust 
[This is huge. Big Pharma -- only out to make a buck!]

Worry 
[Thoughts like --> I will NOT take this for the rest of my life!]

Depression 
[Hey, it is depressing to think after all my life that I may have to take something!]

Emily and I went over my concerns and we set up a plan of action. See? She and those I've dealt with in my town aren't boorish at all. They communicate with their patients.

I am going to try a med called Boniva. It works by slowing bone loss. Now, I've tried two kinds of versions of this before. But I'm willing to try once more. There is another med that is supposed to help build up bone but it takes a 6 month commitment to a shot [it could be a life time medication]. Boniva is a once a month pill form med.

I've read the horror stories.

When I left the pharmacy and got home, I'd worked myself into a tizzy. I was angry that I'd committed to trying it, fearful, anxious, and pissed at my body that had betrayed me, and in a word? I was in a Stress Rage.

I told hubby that I needed to go into a quiet room and cover my eyes and be left alone. I actually said something like: I need to go in a dark cage and have a sign on the door that says: SHE WILL BITE!

How dare my lumbar region be so fragile? I couldn't feel it, but I could see it on the Bone Density Scan. How Dare It? 

Emily told me to keep up my regular routine as I am 'fit and relatively strong'. However, I want to try and help myself and avoid compression fractures in the lower spine. That could end my ability to walk. Period.

Period...

This is the motivator for me to keep trying to improve things.

My husband says I need to stop having negative thoughts regarding trying a medication. You know what? He is right. A doctor's visit set me off in a negative way even though it was a rather pleasant encounter.

Conclusion so far. I've stayed active and strong which has helped keep me from injuries so far. I'm over my Rage at my body and now have settled into a mode of Let's see how I can help myself.




10 comments:

  1. I went through all this when I tried medication. The first was a disaster, not boniva, but the generic for fosamax. I quit in despair, really angry about the downturn in my health from it,

    Years later my doctor sent me to a different, I think much better endo, who recommended the biannual shot, no danger to the digestive system. I'm doing that, no aftereffects, and I'll know next year how effective it is. But I do sympathize with your anger and disappointment at the test results.

    It doesn't help when friends insist you're wrong, they don't take anything and never will. I point out that I felt that way back when I was their age!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably end up with the 6 month shot as this one prevents more loss and the 6 month can increase density. I just am taking a baby steps. Boniva is first choice to try and then on to the next.

      I was so angry at my bones! I told hubby I was going to get a full sized skeleton and beat it up. LOL.
      Thank you for your much valued input, it gives me a bit of hope!

      Delete
  2. It's interesting you wrote about this topic and I just did, too. I didn't take a med I was prescribed because of the listed side effects. Two weeks ago I decided I wasn't doing myself any favors and went on it. I'm glad you are going to give it a try. I cannot imagine you unable to walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you!
      I do understand about the wicked side effects. However, if no one took any medications for fear of side effects, we'd never take meds.
      Also, if we knew all the 'side' effects from eating, drinking, and activities of life? We'd live in a bubble wrapped room.
      Thanks for our comment of support.

      Delete
  3. You settled back into a good mode. You've heard plenty from me on this subject, so I will just add: fingers (and toes) crossed that your new course of action will be helpful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is certainly worth a try! You are worth it and so is being able to walk:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:54 PM

    I get it! My body (at 80) has changed outrageously and it has caused me a great deal of concern. One thing after another over the past 3 years. Still functioning, but it feels a lot different and I need to stop being so anxious about it. Give this med a shot and see if it makes a difference. Doing farm work for decades definately has an impact on our bodies. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are comfortable with your medical professionals. That is an important thing. I totally understand where you are coming from. I am not happy with my body and it's "choices" in several areas now that I am a certain age!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would feel pretty much the same way. We shall see when my time comes to have this discussion with my doctor. He tends to be on the side of Big Pharma. I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knowing your hesitancy I am sure your doctor is prescribing the one that is less threatening. It is too bad that the results can't be seen sooner down the road rather than a year down the road.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.