Monday, October 23, 2023

A bit of fungi and whatnot

 Forgive this post if it seems random and disconnected. 

My brain is like that some days. It
 jumps from one place to another without
giving me prior notice!



This black icky looking stuff is Black Witches Fungi. Perfect I think for the upcoming Halloween celebration.

I found a lot of tiny fungi/mushrooms growing last week after the last rainfall. It was pretty gloomy in the woods so I took along my cell phone for added light along with a string of fairy lights.

I thought it added a fairy tale feeling to the photo. 


It was interesting enough to try a second time...
Hobby looks surprised and pleased to find such cute little mushrooms!


I did find some Shrimp of the Woods, but they were aged so I left them be. 



There is more rain coming this week with some warmer days so I could find some more interesting fungi and mushrooms. 

Fingers Crossed!

Earlier this week I decided to take a predawn hike. Thick fog was forecast but I didn't see any as I hiked up to the ridge. In fact, the whole scene was pretty drab and uninteresting.

That is until the sun broke through the clouds on the horizon and fog came sliding in from the north. I've never seen it move quite like that! It was like watching a movie of attack fog!

I'm glad I waited around for the sun to poke through the thick fog. It was beautiful.



I do enjoy those mornings when I get out by myself and just stand on the ridge and watch the sun come up. As we charge towards late fall and winter, there is something about watching the light come into the world.


I am trying to be positive about the next month and how I can visually enjoy nature's beauty. 

I think I may concentrate on some Still Life skills indoors and outside.

Last winter, I made a stick lean-too just for fun. Creating things out of sticks, glue and moss took a bit of creativity. I finally found a use for it! You can find the build I did in February here: Indoor Project

Squatch [who travels in my pocket almost all of the time] finally found a home! 

[For this shot I added little fungi to the house. I had to be quick with setting up and taking the shot as the sunlight moves off quickly!]


I thank Boud -- from Blogger for some of her ideas involving leaves, cornhusks and weaving of natural fibers for creative ideas. I also thank Aurora for this marvelous little Squatch guy. He really does get around!

In fact, it seems as if Squatch found his half brother Big Foot wandering around. 




I guess they decided to get together and discuss their other half brother, Yeti. Apparently they plan to embark on a journey to find him in the Big Woods and they hope to spend the winter together.



They heard that Yeti prefers the snow and cold. Would he sit by the fire with them? Or would he build an igloo? Time will tell!

Happy Wanderings and Exploring!

7 comments:

  1. love all the different lighting, but the fairy lights are a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful photo of the sun. I enjoy your forays into the woods with your little buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fungi. We've had an orange version of that witch's fungus locally. Thanks for the shoutout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cool fungi...great name too for this time of year! Nice foggy /sun photo! Enjoy the weather while you can! Gene is washing down my lawn mower getting ready to put it away for the Winter...I am done with leaves as of today:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looked like a huge job...your leaves!
      One more mow for us too and then we are done.

      Delete
  5. You are having a lot of fun with your fungi. Some of the names of the fungi seem imaginary but I know your are not making them up. Your morning shot was fantastic. I know what you mean when the sun moves and light can just change so quickly. Keep on trekking and creating. It is fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great series of Fall finds & creations! The house is just perfect for a lil' Squatch. Complete with mushroom coach lights.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.