Sunday, July 30, 2023

Maiden Voyage


The fella above is named Steve. There is a little background regarding Steve here: Merry Green Marvel.

This was his first 'tour' or as he called it The Maiden Tour. Last week I was supposed to do this, but communications got fouled up and because of that he invited myself and my friend for a 'no' charge tour as an apology.

Steve gave us a demonstration on how to get in and out of the sit on Kayaks, how to steer, back paddle, make figure eights, and deal with the wakes from speed boots if we encountered them.
He explained Strainers and how not to be a Noodle.
[For the heck of it a few days ago I looked up the Kayak Lingo and terms...]
Strainers are low hanging branches and a kayaker can get hung up like a noodle trying to go through them on a river current.
Dragging over logs or getting Boned is another expression -- he didn't use that though. It wouldn't have been appropriate with all female Kayakers.

We took off and headed first into the what he called the Lotus Garden.



If you have never sat near these flowers and smelled their exotic and beautiful scent...you have not lived!

I paddled along with Steve's son for part of the journey and we talked about different kinds of kayaking. He lives in Alaska and has kayaked on the ocean. Wow. The difference in lakes, rivers, and oceans are pretty big and I enjoyed hearing about them.






We paddled for around 3 hours with a break on a 'beach' along the main channel. After that, we headed down river to find another entry point into the backwaters. Or as Steve called it, the Braided Sloughs of the Mississippi which was an excellent description.

The crazies were out on the main channel with their speed boats racing up and down the river. Personally, I've never seen the fun of that.
Quiet and slow have always been my motto. Silent sports and I get along the best, although I hold nothing against those who like those sports.

How was it?

Well.
Awesome.


Will I do it again?
Steve's shot of me exploring the
Lotus Garden




Oh yes.
Yes.

Yes.

Next time? Maybe an evening paddle? 

It was a well run 'tour' which felt more like a friend taking us to see some amazing sights.

The photos were taken with my little waterproof point and shoot camera. So I didn't get great shots of the eagles or the juvie eagle...or the eagle nest and turtles.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see you getting your own kayak! You got some great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun time. I'm going to have to learn how to do that If I want to go out fishing again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That paddling would be great fun. I didn't know you were close to the Mississippi. I would say July sucked but I don't use that word. I got a lot done but had no adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.