Saturday, July 15, 2023

Birds, Bees, Fungi, and the Surprise!

Beautiful rains.

The only way to make it rain? I set out a Lego Aztec Minifigure to do a Raindance when the clouds moved in.




After the rain quit the first time, I put on boots and headed out to the creek bottom. It was just a joy to see wet leaves and water in the creek.

As I moved along through the tangled brush and briers I noticed some pinkish peachy colors on a log. On close inspection I was so excited!

Its common name is Wrinkled Peach Fungi, its scientific name is Rhodotus Palmtus. Yikes, I prefer the Wrinkled Peach name. It is so delicate and beautiful. And... ---> not edible.
This is the bottom side.


From the top.


I found some Oyster Mushrooms too.  The Slugs were really into them. 


On the same log in the creek bottom that had the beautiful peachy fungi, I found Bear Scat.


 Ewwww. The slugs were all over that too!

I went back home to get out of my hot clothes and report the bear scat findings. It wasn't exactly fresh. There has been a bear in the area for the past few summers [don't know if it is the same one or not]. However the bear uses the creek as a pathway to get from the berry patches on one neighbor's land to the wild apple trees on the west side of our land. 

Back home the humming birds were going nuts on the Bee Balm.
These two photos are a combo of shots. It is the same bird taken in rapid fire and composited so a person can admire how quick these guys are!



They spent a lot of time going to the Bee Balm and then back to the feeders. They really argue quite a bit!


My favorite bird is this guy, the Ruby Throated Hummer.



See his tongue???



8 seconds of him watching for intruders!


The bees were insane on the Bee Balm, but I didn't want to sit or stand in the hot sun and watch them so I opted for some shots of the Humming Birds instead.

HAH!

After I finished chores, an older Cadillac came creeping down our driveway. I was all set to give them a 'What For' thinking some old fart was lost or it was a pile of Jehovah's Witnesses.

It wasn't!

It was our friends from Missouri who had traveled north to see the Northern Lights and then were quite disappointed by their accommodations and the weather.


More on that after our weekend is done....

10 comments:

  1. The peach fungi is very pretty. We've had some rain but not enough. I don't know if I've seen a hummingbird when it wasn't flying and I've never seen the tongue! Unexpected company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have ever seen the tongue if I hadn't been taking photos!
      The company is fun!

      Delete
  2. Glad you got some rain! That should freshen up the pastures.
    Ewww to the slugs...
    Lovely shot of the peachy undersides. And the hummers- love the composite shot! They are amazing little birds and soooo territorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so. The pastures were and still are so short!

      Delete
  3. Your photos are so awesome. I can't get over the detail in your photographs. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I just love seeing the beauty in odd things.

      Delete
  4. The peachy 'shroom really does look peachy! Cool find. I thought I might start seeing some fungi with our recent rain. Nope. We got around 3" combined over the past three rain days. YAY!!! Our fields are just starting to green up a little. We have renewed hope for a late second crop. Fingers crossed we don't have another extended dry spell. Right before it rained, the news had our area at drought level 4 (5 was red, the highest/driest).

    Fun Bee Balm combo shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On super hot days I can sit on the back step and watch the action at the outhouse by the bee balm.
      I think we may have more fungi showing up now that it is hot and humid. I hope!

      Delete
  5. :) Glad it was good company for you and not lost old farts or Jehovah Witnesses! That is a pretty peachy fungi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we have had such a great time! Wonderful folks that don't care if my house is a mess, they are so easy going. I provided the kids with Legos and we all have been having fun.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.