Friday, January 10, 2020

Iced

I was getting dressed to go outside and do chores when suddenly I heard a downpour of rain outside.

I stepped outside and watched as the rain hit the concrete blocks and the edge of the porch. Instant ice.
About 3 more rounds of rain hit in bursts and any thought of going anywhere was erased.


This is a picture of the yard. I couldn't believe it was so slippery. I made my way out to do chores and half way to the shed I decided that I was an idiot for not looking for my Yak Trax to slip on for traction.

The gravel driveway had turned to one big sheet of ice. So I decided not even to try going anywhere and hope that the town truck would come out eventually and perhaps it would warm enough to melt the ice.
The issue was, the driveway and ground were frozen and even if the temperatures warmed up, the ground would not.

I did the chores and slipped and slid back to the house. I dug out my Yak Trax and went back out to water Lil Richard.
He was still iced!


However, none of the equine were cold as they all were warm under their blankets of ice that had started to melt. Under the fluff, their skin was warm and dry.

Around 11 o'clock the town truck backed down our driveway spreading sand. I'd read on social media that highway 14 was closed due to a semi that couldn't get a grip on the road. There were other multiple incidents that made me feel good about my decision to stay home.

As the temperatures rose the top of the ice melted and made the ice on the lower part of the drive even worse. 

Nothing left to do after chores, breakfast, and dinner prep. So Charlie and I took a walk.

 Yak Trax

Charlie in the Meadow

When we came back up on the ridge, I was surprised at how warm the air was.

Everything had water on it...

But the moss was very cool...



At the end of the day the sun tried to break out as the temperatures began to dip again.

I don't like ice this way.
I really really don't.




3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:24 AM

    The evening sky is impressive. I do not like ice but the pictures of the rain droplets is beautiful. I need to replace my Yak Trax that I gave to someone as they left my house during a similar ice storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still icy in places but the sun came out today and we are prepping for another round of weather of some sort. No one is sure what we will get.

      Delete
  2. Ice is the worst, I love my Yak Traks too, you took some great photos! -29 here this AM bet that it will come your way:(

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.