Thursday, January 16, 2020

A Shovel and a thought...

Shoveling 101.


There was only about 2 inches of snow to I just pushed it with the shovel out of the way. I sanded the spots that have ice underfoot. This is by the north side of the house. I didn't want to fire up the skid steer just for that. I don't like using it and I thought by taking the tracks off from it, it would be easier to operate.

It is but without the tracks AND the spikes it doesn't have the traction it used to have. I just can't win.

I pushed snow out of the way for vehicles to turn around. Keep in mind that I've had to call 911 for an ambulance many times over the years for my husband.



Actually the work kept my mind off from a few other things and I was able to sort of plan how I'd clear this spot with the skid steer after the major storm that is predicted to come in tomorrow through Saturday. I also had time to work out which elder mules would go inside tomorrow afternoon.

Charlie looks up the driveway towards the ridge.
My neighbor has taken over the plowing of the hill for us with his tractor.


I am very grateful that he comes down to my place and turns around. I am standing in the middle of my driveway for these shots. The hill to the south and the house to the north.


This winter I can park the Subaru in the large shed so the driveway and the north side of the house are clear for med deliveries and an emergency vehicle should we need one.
The flatter areas could easily be plowed out with a 4 wheeler or UTV. I'd like the Polaris Ranger as it has a dump box and I could use it for fence work, yard work, level plowing, moving dirt, gardening, and ... well, it is handier than the skid steer, and since it could replace both the skid steer AND the 4 wheeler....

....Still working on that idea. 

Anyway.
Update on MIL.
The nurse told me yesterday that Dr. Bassett has now decided that MIL has a viral infection. [I'm thinking viral pneumonia, but no official dx has been offered]. She still has CHF and Stage 3/[just points above stage 4] Kidney Failure. 
When I texted and called around to offer that up as an update, I got one odd comment back.

Oh that is a relief.

Um. What?
So this new revelation says to those who haven't seen her...that she is okay and it is just a cold type thing?

So now this development says to me that a common cold or virus is/can be deadly in her condition. But a collective sigh of relief?
She is still very sick, she is in the hospital still.

I imagine they will treat her and get her released back to the nursing home as soon as possible.
Which brings me to another sore point in my mind. The mentality of health care these days are get them just good enough to be released. So they can get another patient in.

I'll be headed into the hospital this morning after chores [it is -2 F with a wind chill of...pretty damned cold!]

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:50 PM

    I am so sorry about the health problems MIL has and the lack of support both she and you get from others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her Guardian and I are very supportive, of course she has a few friends that do see her, but she doesn't always recall those visits. That is normal. She has it in her head that her daughter came 'just yesterday'. And that is okay too.
      Health issues for the elderly are going to become a huge issue that we are just ignoring, it seems...pushing it down the road until it is a crisis.

      Delete
  2. Oh that is so sad...a health crisis or any sort viral or bacterial can be bad for the elderly. Medicare rules they can only be in the hospital for so many days...unless there are complications then they can be in there for a few more days. I tell you our Health Care System is all messed up. It is all about the $.

    That is lots of shoveling...hope you don't get dumped on. Now they are saying about 8 inches for us...we shall see. Yes it was kinda cold out this morning. -26 for our low. After it gets so cold it hardly makes a difference. I have a new Parka, it weighs a ton and it was so cold it turned stiff as a board...it is now my emergency coat in the car. Walking around with it on getting in and out of the car in town was a pain in the butt.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, had this been 10 yrs ago, it would have been a cold, however it became a hospital stay. I used to do medical billing and coding, so I get the how the insurance works. And truthfully, by yesterday, she was much better and should go back to SNF. My question being is that I don't think any facility is staffed fully if you get my drift.
      A new parka! I love my insulated coveralls and will wear my nicer ones to town on nasty days...but prefer not to travel~

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.