Saturday, October 15, 2016

More Burrs and Tails.

I went out to catch up Siera. I merely opened the gate and then wandered out into the pasture.

It only took her a few minutes to notice me. And when she did she walked right up to me. I turned and walked towards the catch pen. She nosed the halter and lead rope.

You came! You promised! You're here!

Oh Siera I did come.

I gave her a huge hug around the neck. Then I backed off as Mica and Fred came on the trot.
I opened the pen and let everyone in. I looked at the big gob of massed twisted burrs and hair that was Mica's tail and decided it would be a good idea to clean her tail. 

My hour or so of riding time would be better spent cleaning up mules.

I haltered her and then led her out of the pasture.

Siera stared hard at me. 

Her? You choose her? Over me?

It didn't last long, she found some long grass in the pen and started to eat. A mule's heart is truly in their appetite.

I used scissors to remove the burrs stuck in Mica's mane and then proceeded to 'roach' her mane. I didn't do as good a job as a pair of electric clippers, but it looked better without gobs of burdock in it.

I worked and worked on her tail. Mica stomped and moved about. She was tolerating the work, but not happy about being tied to a tree while there was so much fresh looking grass just for the grazing around her.

The hair mass was just nasty. Since Mica has never had a long flowing tail, I decided just to cut it and let it regrow.


When I was done with her, I got Fred out. Siera nickered and then resumed eating.


Gotta love Fred. His biggest concern was: "Don't separate me from my Girls!"

I managed to keep his tail intact only cutting out some twisted knots. 
Apparently with our remodel, we'd forgotten to mow the pastures and knock down the burdock plants.

I'll be fighting burdock in the Merry Meadow from now until hunting season.

Sigh.

However, everyone got some time on a lead line and had some grazing outside of the pasture.


As Siera told me.

The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side of the Fence.

Yes Siera, I happen to agree with you.

See you tomorrow?

Unless it is raining.

No, I'll see you tomorrow.

Sometimes mules can be so demanding.

However any time spent with a mule is more satisfying that most anything else I can think of.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.