Friday, October 10, 2008

Economy?

First, I am NO economic expert. But one can't ignore the news even if one does not have a TV in the house to watch the news.
Looks like things are 'going to hell in a handbasket' [I think that was a Grandpa Fred quote].

I was surprised to see my own state in 'dire straights'. I read an article somewhere that WI's unemployment funds will run out in 6 months.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08/10/1003_budget_shortfall/21.htm

Things are getting pretty serious all over. I guess I'm glad I didn't take the state job, as I'd probably get laid of right now.
The economy used to be a subject of mention during light conversations. Now, it IS the subject of mention.
Lots of shaking heads.
Lots of folks angry at Wall Street and the 'big fellas' with money.

Many folks in secure jobs who don't feel secure any longer.
The old folks in my area are crying 'Depression'! And for those who did live through it are glum with what is happening.

So far our home front hasn't suffered much. Being prudent folk that we are, we bought our winter heating fuel in advance. And have set our books in order.

Where months ago, I really didn't follow much regarding Wall Street, I am finding myself drawn with fascination to it now. I suppose I am like any other American, concerned and curious.

It is a serious mood that takes over as I read updates. A morbid fascination, I guess. And perhaps history in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.