Sunday, May 15, 2022

Saturday Wonderday!

A good day starts with a good walk if I can manage it. Sometimes the other half gets up too early and needs his coffee made and can get grumpy if it isn't taken care of. [I am smiling as I write this, because I know that I can get up at 4:30 now and enjoy quiet time for a while!]

I am trying to keep track of the trees alongside the gravel road to our house. The one below is a Grey Dogwood ~ I believe.


This year I am trying to keep track of birds...trees... and of course fungi. It is a means of keeping myself occupied and my mind stimulated.

My favorite Box Elder

Red Oak I believe!

Another one? Oak.

I think...not sure... Hazel nuts? I will have to wait for the tree to leaf out a bit more or some sort of elm??
Speckled Alder??? 
Gosh I don't know!

I found more amazing trees on the morning walk then headed to town and picked up Rhubarb Pie and Cherry Pie from the Farmer's Market and some fresh leaf lettuce. I've decided to just grow sweet corn in the garden this year.
When I can purchase fresh produce each week all summer for our needs and for freezing, it doesn't make sense to spend endless hours in a vegetable garden.

For example, the cost of the beautiful lettuce I got? $2.50, I can't grow it for that! 

MMMM. It gives me more time to play with flowers which I LOVE!

I went out just before lunch and found Morels with Charlie!



Charlie didn't feel so good, so I took him home. As I cut through a deer trail looking at the ground, I saw this...


Fawns do not have a scent when first born. They lay so still as to be invisible! I moved away with Charlie and we headed home.

BUT! Not before we heard a commotion in the trees about 40 feet away. An owl was having it out with some red wing black birds and crows.

I thought to myself...Dang where is Aurora with that lens of hers? I know she would have loved watching this owl watch us. [Taken with my pocket camera and cropped so you can see the owl.]


We had Morels with our steak and watched several squalls come through and ended the day with a rainbow. [A bit over the top with the edit, but the clouds were so amazing and I wanted to catch their strangeness as it cut through the rainbow.]




6 comments:

  1. What lovely photos! I feel as you do about vegetable gardens, especially since I live in town and pay city water rates to water them. I buy my husband 3 half grown potted tomato plants to play with and buy the rest cheaper than I can grow it. I would love to have an entire bed of homegrown lettuce, but it is just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a great day when I get to see an owl and that last photo is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool day! Morels, Fawns and Rainbows! All that was missing was the Unicorn! I really should be more astute on my Tree identification. I am confident around oaks and Maples.... that is about it. Elms still puzzle me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a strange behavior of the deer to leave their young ones. We saw one once while at a funeral just laying out under a tree. I love the mushrooms. I am not good at identifying trees or maybe I just can't remember them anymore. Early morning is a good time to be out. I use to walk our border collie at four in the morning when I was still working full time, teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Charlie is okay! You saw some great things, a fawn, owl and a rainbow...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have loved to watch/shoot the owl!! So much wonderfulness in your day!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.