Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Hired Help?

 


You can't see her. But there is my 'hired' part time farm hand. Her name is Molly and she has spent the last 3 years working and training in show barns along with a second job. She has partially completed her Equine Management Degree and I am going to push her to finish it. 

I taught her to ride in 2018 and she IS a natural. 

[She has a tough backround which I won't go into. But she has a natural ability with animals. She has worked and been on her own for 3 years.  The price of renting an apartment got to be too expensive so she moved back home to get on her feet. LUCKY for me!]

With the extra care it takes me right now to help out hubby, I have not been able to keep up with grooming and working with my fabulous mules. 

Molly has extensive knowledge of each mule and the horse we have. I offered her a part time job-ish to come out and groom them, clean the goat pen, help fence, exercise Sunshine and Siera along with other jobs like worming and clipping. All things I can do, but easier with a second hand to get it done.

She also will work with Sundance to see if we can't finish her off with getting steady under saddle. This she wants to do on her own. She also sees the horse as a good challenge to test her training skills. I'm all good with that.

A real upside to this?

Hubby sits right up and becomes sociable when Molly arrives. Yesterday HE came outside and did some work with the skid steer while Molly helped me with a fencing job. BONUS! 

We put up a temporary paddock. I do this one each summer to lessen the mowing. It generally takes me all day to unravel the wire and set things up. It took less than two hours with Molly. 

I've always felt like I wasn't doing my equine justice the last two years. Is it worth paying someone to help so I can garden, care for hubby, and reap the benefits? 

Is it worth it? Yes.

To see my husband perk up ... to see my animals groomed and slick? To see the equine given the attention they deserve? Oh, heck yes!

Oh yes. One more bonus. I have someone I can go riding with! 

When she gets her full time job, it will be less hours but right now, the extra hand IS fantabulous.

Molly on Siera Monday night. The two of them were getting reacquainted.



Will this be permanent? No. Molly will do as Molly does and she will move on again once she is back on top of her boots. 

It is working for right now and that what I can ask for and it is a good thing.




14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a win win for all involved: Molly, you, hubby, and the animals. Hope it lasts awhile for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it is working out well. So I have my fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely love everything about this!! It is rewarding to mentor & make a difference in a young persons life. Molly will carry what she learns (even when she doesn't know she is learning) with her forever. Meanwhile she is "breathing new life" into each and everyone of you, including your equine ~ and you. Just having another person around to help, talk with etc, is huge. For how ever long it lasts. Very happy for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is one of those rare naturals that doesn't come along that often. Plus, she soaks up equine knowledge like it is Oxygen. And the mood around the farm is much more positive with her visits.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a win win situation! So happy that Rich is taking an interest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He says he doesn't want company but then when he gets it, he perks right up. Molly considers him to be a mentor on equine things so that helps a lot!

      Delete
  4. So great to have help, makes the days brighter. Hope you get some saddle time in too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to get in some saddle time this weekend.

      Delete
  5. The Marvelous Molly! I am so happy that this is working out for you on all levels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can appreciate Molly for as long as you can. I know working with the animals is so valuable. Maybe spring will inspire you hubby to get out there more and be stronger because of it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually is more active because she is around. He likes to talk with her.

      Delete
  7. But do those skills translate to a future job? ( That is my Dad talking... I should have listened.) Sounds like she is getting some good training. Best of luck to the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does as many equine barns need good people and she has worked at more than one. It all depends. When you are young you should go ahead and follow your heart!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous3:33 PM

    Way to go! And having company is such a bonus!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.