Tuesday, October 27, 2020

The First Snow & Charlie

 

There is always some childlike excitement over the very first snowfall of the season. I can't wait to get out in it and explore.

Rich generally gets pretty grumpy about it.

Last year it was October 16th. The snow came down in beautiful big chunks!


There was still a lot of color left on the trees and in the woods. Here a sumac shows off its brilliant reds.
I gathered my gear and got ready to head out.
Charlie crept closer to the little camera bag and gave me huge soulful eyes.

I reached for his electric collar [he wears a collar I can buzz to call him off from chasing squirrels, chipmunks, and deer. He stands only 7" high and is too easy to lose in the woods. I did that because I did lose him once and it took me a long time to find the little bugger who was tracking goodness knows what!] The Daschund in him makes him a voracious hunter. The Pekingese side of him makes him a lazy couch King.


We headed out and Charlie's reaction was one of pure joy.


He was into instant mouse tracking mode. Or anything he could smell mode.


If you didn't know how tiny he was, you'd think he was a huge dog. He is watching and listening for something to chase.



At the creek he tried chasing a small trout that was flitting about in the water. I don't think he could figure out what was making the splashes. Eventually he went under the log to dig a bit.
I sometimes wonder what goes on inside a dog's head. His/her thoughts must be only in the moment. 

Maybe that is a good thing right now.


Charlie doesn't keep an eye on me like predecessor dogs have. Dixie the big hound dog would run off 20 or so yards and then bound back to be at my side and slobbering into my hand.
Morris would find a perch and watch over me. He'd glance back if he were leading on a trail to make sure I was coming.

Charlie.
He is his own dog.


My job is to keep an eye on the little wanderer. Though he has gotten so much better with recall. The buzzer helps distract him. 
And if I holler out the magic word: Cookie???

He comes on the run.



I let him run around and have his smell-fest in the creek for a while and then started back towards home. It was late and the light was fading. 

Charlie trotted through the open pasture nosing lumps of grass and weeds. I imagine he was looking for mice. Once he finds them, he will simply just sit and stare.

I had to take a photo of how much different the meadow looked from the day before.


By the time we arrived home, it was time to get on with the chores.

I had some elderly mules calling my name.

Fred and Mica, they eat separately from the others and get Senior Feed.
Fred is somewhere around 34 ish, he is the little bay. Mica is in her late 20's and has always been a hard keeper.



The red headed sisters.
Funny how they group themselves.


And the bays. One is a horse, the other is Siera.
For whatever reason, these two hang out together also.



Charlie ran to the door. I let him in where he greeted Rich and promptly laid down in front of the heater.

I shut the door behind me as I heard Rich asking Charlie, "So how was the snow? Did you have fun?"

I smiled.
I don't ever recall Rich conversing with one of our pets over the years. He likes dogs, but he never was a fan of a house dog.

Yes, Charlie was worth it. The funny little dog that wormed his way into Rich's heart.






3 comments:

  1. Ah Charlie is a sweet dog...who could resist him! So you finally got snow...enjoy! Our Shelties had two litters of puppies when they got old enough I would take them outside to potty and cookies was a great recall word:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to get more tiny treats. I bought a box and it should last us at least a few months. Yes, Charlie is very food driven so cookies really make good sense.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.